What's new

has anyone ever seen a point knapped like this?

birdpointgriswold

Hero Member
Joined
May 23, 2012
Messages
901
Reaction score
228
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've posted this point b4 but was looking at it today and noticed something odd. It has been knapped in a very strange way. On each side, one side of the point is knapped a a sharp angle. Maybe just the style? Never seen it before.

ForumRunner_20120719_170253.webp



ForumRunner_20120719_170303.webp



ForumRunner_20120719_170321.webp



ForumRunner_20120719_170327.webp



ForumRunner_20120719_170336.webp



ForumRunner_20120719_170336.webp



ForumRunner_20120719_170343.webp

Johnathan Griswold
 
Upvote 0
It's called "beveling" and it was a way of resharpening the blade without losing a lot of length. Very commom on a lot of early Archaic types.


Here's a few examples of some that I own.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0033.webp
    DSC_0033.webp
    16.9 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_0032.webp
    DSC_0032.webp
    10.5 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_0030.webp
    DSC_0030.webp
    16.3 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_0029.webp
    DSC_0029.webp
    11.3 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC_0028.webp
    DSC_0028.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC_0042.webp
    DSC_0042.webp
    12.1 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC_0041.webp
    DSC_0041.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC_0038.webp
    DSC_0038.webp
    10.4 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_0036.webp
    DSC_0036.webp
    23 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0035.webp
    DSC_0035.webp
    11.2 KB · Views: 116
The Grim Reaper said:
It's called "beveling" and it was a way of resharpening the blade without losing a lot of length. Very commom on a lot of early Archaic types.

Here's a few examples of some that I own.

Ohhh sweet! That's cool never found one like it thanks reaper!

Johnathan Griswold
 
Wilson NC

Johnathan Griswold
 
Wilson NC

Johnathan Griswold

ihave 3 or 4 knives that's made that way i just call them 4 bladed knives for a lack of not knowing a better name this is a pic of my best one all 4 sides are beveled opposite sorry for the flash
 

Attachments

  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    22.4 KB · Views: 125
Absolutly - resharpening one side and then flipping it over and doing the other side. I have a few that have that cool "twist" look.
 
IllinoisDug said:
Absolutly - resharpening one side and then flipping it over and doing the other side. I have a few that have that cool "twist" look.

Twist look is the correct word that's what it looks like!

Johnathan Griswold
 
The Grim Reaper said:
It's called "beveling" and it was a way of resharpening the blade without losing a lot of length. Very commom on a lot of early Archaic types.

Here's a few examples of some that I own.

Oh yeah btw super sweet points!

Johnathan Griswold
 
Johnathon, the old timers used to think that these types of Points would spin when they were thrown and that was what the beveling was for.
 
The Grim Reaper said:
Johnathon, the old timers used to think that these types of Points would spin when they were thrown and that was what the beveling was for.

You know it does have that shape of a airplane propeller

Johnathan Griswold
 
Sure have. Agree with GrimReaps on reason and types most often encountered with said alternate beveling
 
Jonathon, here's a couple of Bolens I have that are from Georgia.
 

Attachments

  • Bolens (3).webp
    Bolens (3).webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Bolens (1).webp
    Bolens (1).webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Bolens (2).webp
    Bolens (2).webp
    11.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Bolens.webp
    Bolens.webp
    22.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Bolens (5).webp
    Bolens (5).webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Bolens (6).webp
    Bolens (6).webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 124
The Grim Reaper said:
Jonathon, here's a couple of Bolens I have that are from Georgia.

Yeah they look just like it....another strange thing is the material, I have never seen that type of material in my area... maybe traded? Any idea what it is?

Johnathan Griswold
 
birdpointgriswold said:
Yeah they look just like it....another strange thing is the material, I have never seen that type of material in my area... maybe traded? Any idea what it is?

Johnathan Griswold

The only ones I have ever found were knapped really crude. That one you have is cool.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom