What's new

Has anyone here found an American gold coin? What was the target ID?

WVCOINHUNTER

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2012
Messages
56
Reaction score
63
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, XP MI6, Garrett Pro Pointer, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found clad, silver coins, silver jewelry, gold jewelry, and relics but never a gold coin! (YET) What I was wondering is since American gold coins are 90% gold and 10% copper, what would the target ID read? On my AT Pro copper hits at 75-76 or Indian pennies, 77-79 for zinc pennies, and 80-82 for pennies 1982 and older. The gold rings I have found came in at the nickel range 51-56. And the nickel range is a midtone, where the pennies read a high tone? Any thoughts?
 
gold coins,I have found 2,came up just right of nickle...mid tone.these were small 2.50 coins.
 
Someone on another site reported finding a $5 gold coin at 9 inches and it rang up like a penny signal. That gives me hope. martin
 
2 Box detectors don't give you that info. Frank... coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.webp
 
reply

I have found clad, silver coins, silver jewelry, gold jewelry, and relics but never a gold coin! (YET) What I was wondering is since American gold coins are 90% gold and 10% copper, what would the target ID read? On my AT Pro copper hits at 75-76 or Indian pennies, 77-79 for zinc pennies, and 80-82 for pennies 1982 and older. The gold rings I have found came in at the nickel range 51-56. And the nickel range is a midtone, where the pennies read a high tone? Any thoughts?

I've got 14 gold coins so far (13 american and 1 British sovergeign). Here's where they read:

$1 gold: about where beaver tails of the old tabs read. Or put another way: near or about nickel.

$2.50: About where round tabs read.

$5.00: At about 48-ish on the old whites eagle/spectrum/xlt scale reads. That's about where the beefiest of square tabs reads (those thicker kind of square tabs). Or about where corroded zinc reads.

$10.00: about IH area-ish

$20.00: About copper penny-ish

Will depend on wear on coin, depth, minerals, tilt, etc....
 
Tom is right they all will not read the same.....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom