What's new

Has your detector ever saved your life?

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2012
Messages
1,236
Reaction score
1,960
Golden Thread
0
Location
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can think of a couple of times where that detector saved me from some serious damage!
When I lived in B.C. in the mid 90’s, I followed a local old-timers’ directions on where to find an old fish canning site in the middle of nowhere.
The terrain was a nightmare and I basically had to go on my hands and knees to crawl under thick salal berry bushes and came to the edge of a ravine.
This was part of my destination as I had to go down to the bottom and come out to the shore of an inaccessible inlet.
The slope was covered in loose rocks and all of a sudden, I lost my footing and started to tumble.
In a quick response, I propped up my detector shaft and it stopped me from plummeting 50 feet down this steep ravine!
I can’t say for sure that I would have died but there’s no doubt I would have been severely messed up!
Another time about 10 years ago, I came pretty close to death.
A few hours west of here, we have a large desert with big sand hills and cactus.
Hard to believe this far north but we do have a desert.
Anyway, I was searching an old fort site that used to sit way up on a steep bank above an old oxbow.
It was too treacherous to climb down but there was one spot that ground water trickled down the slope which appeared to be my only way down.
I was wearing rubber boots and was confidently descending when all of a sudden; I sunk super fast and in a split second, braced my detector shaft.
In a flash, I had sunk up to my chest and the shaft stopped me from completely going under.
Again, I was in the middle of nowhere!
Over the years I would notice the odd sign posted in that area…..”Danger! Quick Sand!”
One other time my friend Hardy was stuck up to his chest in mucky water and couldn’t get himself out.
I couldn’t reach to pull him out and he eventually used his detector shaft to lift himself out on two tufts of grassy soil.
I think that post is still on T-net entitled “Murder in the Muskeg.” Lol.
Thank God in all those situations that the detector shaft didn't snap!
So, does anyone have any stories about how their detectors saved their lives?
Cheers,
Dave.
 
I have had several rattlesnakes strike my coil while nuggetshooting in Arizona. It is ALWAYS a wake up call!
 
it has saved me from becoming bored to death on several occassions... does that count? :D gonna be hard to top your stories, Muddyhandz!
 
when the wife gets tough I go metal detecting . yes
 
Nothing like that. Sounds like you should not detect alone!
 
My detector seems to work toward the opposite, often causing my heart to skip a few beats. Does that count for anything? :laughing7:
 
Nope. About all that I've done was hold back a large snarling aggressive dog last year. This is the second time that I had dogs act like this just on the edge of town in an old park. Funny, but the sign at the entrance reads that all dogs must be on a leash. I phoned in a police complaint last year when I was surrounded by unattended snarling dogs. I now carry a collapsible baton in case I need to give one of them a siesta. And if I'm bitten or nipped, all bets are off.... Hardy might come in handy in bear country. :laughing7:
 
Last edited:
Nothing like that. Sounds like you should not detect alone!

Funny, I thought the rattlesnake scenario was worse!
Honestly, in almost 30 years of detecting with tons of wilderness trips, those are the only two dangerous times.
Besides car accidents, numerous wasp and hornet nests busted open, hail storms and almost tornadoes, sketchy crack and meth heads clawing at me, lions, tigers, and bears....oh my!
:laughing7:
 
Don't know if this counts as saving my life but I was prepared to give it a try. I was Detecting in a play ground/park at dusk, I see a guy walking across toward me with what looks a lot like a double barrel shot gun (it was). I'm thinking I can't out run lead so if he gets close enough and things go south I'm gonna whack him with the detector. I hated to destroy my detector, but it was the only thing I had in my hands at the time.
Turns out I didn't have to he was checking me out because they have a lot of drug dealers come there, we had a talk and I left because it was now dark. I didn't tell the family they'd want me to give up detecting. I also haven't been back to that park!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom