DSCF0033.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • DSCF0034.JPG
    DSCF0034.JPG
    746.1 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF0035.JPG
    DSCF0035.JPG
    875.6 KB · Views: 78
do the "ears" as I saw them called by where the handle goes in kinda dates it to the 18th century?

No. They do not. Likely 20th C.

fig009.jpg

Upvote 0
That said, when you get the rust off, if it is in good shape go get a handle for it and use it.

I have a circa 1920 ax head I dug a few years ago. I tossed it in a fire to cook off the rust, put it on the grinder to give it an edge, got a new handle, and it turned in to the best ax I've ever had in my hands.

Upvote 0
I think at least early to mid 1800's. I'm no expert, but if I recall, the "ears" are actually called lugs. These were usually hand-forged from a single piece of iron that was then wrapped around a piece of cold steel stock, beaten and forge-welded back together into a single piece. The steel stock was removed and replaced with a wooden handle once it was cooled.

smithy_03.jpg

Like I said, I'm no expert; and DC Matt may be right. Once you get it cleaned up, you might want to look for a seam that may support the hand-forged theory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reading old postings on axe and hatchets it seems very hard to date them without a makers mark.etc..after checking maps this afternoon,the cellar hole where this was found is on an 1830 map,but in 1858 and 1871, the section of road where house was isnt shown,so possible site was no longer in use by then.We didnt find anything else to help date the area other than a thimble...either way I think its cool looking and will post picture after I clean it up.

I think at least early to mid 1800's. I'm no expert, but if I recall, the "ears" are actually called lugs. These were usually hand-forged from a single piece of iron that was then wrapped around a piece of cold steel stock, beaten and forge-welded back together into a single piece. The steel stock was removed and replaced with a wooden handle once it was cooled.

View attachment 1309063

Like I said, I'm no expert; and DC Matt may be right. Once you get it cleaned up, you might want to look for a seam that may support the hand-forged theory.

Upvote 0
Reading old postings on axe and hatchets it seems very hard to date them without a makers mark.etc..after checking maps this afternoon,the cellar hole where this was found is on an 1830 map,but in 1858 and 1871, the section of road where house was isnt shown,so possible site was no longer in use by then.We didnt find anything else to help date the area other than a thimble...either way I think its cool looking and will post picture after I clean it up.

So the fact that it disappeared from the map between 1830-1858 helps quite a bit. Good luck on the clean up!

Upvote 0
Took a bit longer than I thought it would to clean up but got most rust off.So posting a few pics,think I will still find some place to find a decent handle and at least make it look usable.DSCF0042.JPGDSCF0043.JPGDSCF0044.JPGDSCF0045.JPG

So the fact that it disappeared from the map between 1830-1858 helps quite a bit. Good luck on the clean up!

Upvote 0
you have a Hudson Bay style - Google it.
It makes for a good limbing axe.
I have one I keep in my truck

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back