Have the MX Sport updates been successful?

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those who have them I'd like to know. I am really interested in this detector but I'm a little leary buying it.. How is depth compared to my Vaquero, does it really work on the beach, do all modes work properly? I have watched the videos on youtube but they're not saying much about it, just using it. I'm torn between this, the Racer 2 and about a jillion others. Thanks.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was gonna buy one but went with the deus instead and im very happy I did because on the other forum the guys posted they had to send them back twice,to get a upgrade for the upgrade.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash has been doing amazing things with his Deus (see his posts in the Deus forum), but as an owner of both the Deus and MX Sport, I am not sure it is fair to compare the two. If I could afford the Deus, the decision is probably easy as to which one I would choose. But for those looking to buy a capable detector at half the price of the Deus, that is waterproof (Deus is not without purchasing extra housings), and has a few affordable accessory coils (Deus does not) then that is a different story. Even though I could afford and did purchase a Deus last year, I purchased the MX Sport because it serves a specific purpose for me (waterproof hunting with concentric and sniper coil options) that theoretically can do some things better than the Deus. The fact is, the jury is still out as far as I am concerned since my MXS is still out getting the firmware fix, so I will report back once I have a chance to test it with the new firmware. I will say this, however, it is not in my opinion a "Dud" or a disaster. But is it a keeper? We'll see how the firmware update addresses a few niche issues that I encountered (e.g., one way target acquisition).

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't a salt water detector, goes into overload when it goes in salt water...

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If waterproof is a issue and money is the at pro can be had for 500.00. I used an at pro and made killer finds with it ,just bought my son in law one too. The thing I did with the pro was to upgrade the coils to the nel tornado coils. It will hit a nine inch dime in the test garden with that coil on it. I got the yearning to buy another detector and thats when I started looking at the mx sport almost pulled the trigger on it.Ive done alot of reading on it but never had my hands on one you can find some post on it on another forum about the upgrades.Unlike vferrai I only have one detector and if I had bought one I would have had to send it back twice because I was looking at them when the very first ones came out I would have been down for awhile. That would have been a disaster for me. The at pro stinks at the beach too imo. One thing I have noticed is there are some used mx sports being sold already but its still to early in the game to tell . Look forward to your reviews Veferrai will you let me know when you post them.They claim that racer 2 aint no slouch either.

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This detector became available but I waited and after the first week I began to see a lot of comments that did not exactly complement its function. After a number of direct calls to the factory and a promise of returned calls which never happened I still had no answers. The negative forum reports continued and eventually the factory came up with a return plan for the ill functioning units. As of today (a couple months later) I still see that many of the issues are still being vented and the manufacture appears to be as lost as those who have had to return their high dollar purchase as many as three times. The crew that we knew for years at the factory now has been turned over to others and we are starting to see a new style of doing business. Asking whether the updates are successful would have to be answered for some as "NO". There are some that have received original units (without) updates as late as this week from the Whites system. They do have problems but reports are saying that it is being worked on. By the time this all gets resolved a potential new buyer may want to investigate another detector that fits their needs until we start to see a more positive message coming from the manufacture. I would think one could have a couple months of good hunting with another detector before we see a "yes" to your question.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I to am looking for an - $1.000 Fresh Water proof Machine.

I love my 15 yo XLT , & Was hoping this MX Sport would work as good or better than the XLT , Since Whites has had 15+ years to Come up with better tech.

Sounds like QC Has Suffered , IMO That will be Whites Down Fall , IE , 'Glock' INC.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not here to defend Whites. The MXS is the first Whites detector I have owned. It has defintiely not blown my socks off. But I just want to reemphasize as the only one posting in this thread besides Treasure_Hunter who has actually used the MX Sport - Even without the "fix" I did not find the MXS to be unusable out of the box whatsoever. The issue in question that needed to be addressed (recovery time under certain conditions) I found to be minor and would not be relevant for much of the situations in which I would use the detector, so in MY experience, this is much ado about little. In fact, I debated as to whether to send it in at all. I ultimately decided that the dust had pretty much settled and there was no real downside, especially since sending the detector in was cost free and would not impact my detecting as it was not my primary detector. I cannot speak to White's QC issues and inventory control methods, but regarding those who have had to repeatedly send in their machines, logic dictates that for a brand new machine (smart phones are notorious for this), even if issues are discovered relatively quickly after release and if you can at all live with them in the mean time, it is never wise to jump on the first firmware fix. That's because the fact that Whites quickly issued the firmware fix is double edged sword. Good responsiveness by Whites to an identified issue, but if there is one issue out there, then most likely there are more to follow and only time will flush those out. Also, it is not uncommon for the first firmware fix to break something else that was NOT broken before the fix. So I intentionally waited until the dust settled before I sent mine in. In my most humble opinion, those who pulled the trigger early and got their machines in for the first fix were just setting themselves up for inevitable disappointment. Not saying they deserved the pain and anguish of having to send their machines back multiple times, but practicing a little patience in these situations is wise, you want give these things time to settle out. Albeit, if they were not the Guinea pigs for Whites issues, then I would not have any barometer to tell me the issue was ultimately being properly addressed by Whites. Not sure if this makes sense, but bottom line, I was not overly concerned about the firmware fix issue in the first place, did not rush to get it, and am glad I waited since it pretty much played out as I had predicted. Again, not defending Whites. They could have played this out differently, such as telling users that they had a fix for the initial issue, but they wanted to wait to see if other issues came to light before they released the final fix or taken the time to regression test the fix before releasing it to be sure they didn't mess something else up. I think, regardless, Whites and the MXS buyers were going to be in a no win situation with this one. Too bad.

Also, FWIW, I own an AT Pro, and still decided to pull the trigger on the Whites MXS (I am only going to end up keeping one of them) because of few nagging issues I have with the AT Pro including physical balance, smallish display that is hard for my old eyes to read, no backlight. I am still not sure the MX Sport surpasses the AT Pro especially at a $200 cost premium, but I do like what the MXS brings to the table on those specific issues. Still need some run time on the MX Sport to determine if performance indeed equals or surpasses the Pro, so the jury is still out. We'll see if the MX Sport comes back from Whites better or worse for wear and ultimately make the call.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uh oh. Guess I'll have to sell the AT Pro :censored:

OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am having a hard time selling mine LOL.

Hard time selling it because nobody wants it or hard time because you like it? What exactly do you like or not like about it? Is it as bad as some people say or are they just frustrated with the idea of sending it back? I just wanted an all arounder that is waterproof. Is depth okay, discrimination, weight, balance, battery life?

Last edited:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought it to compare to my CTX and hunt in trashy areas.
Some people say Audiomod works on the mx sport and personally I think it doesn't. Everything else seems like it works as it should to me and it is pretty quick in the trash with the update but my CTX can still see the targets the MX sport does in the trash so I really don't need it.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ctx is a superior machine w/multifreq and a host of other goodies and costs 3x the MXS so I am not surprised ctx outperforms despite a slower recovery speed vs. Mxs. But inability to sell the used mxs is a concern. I don't know what you are asking, wouldn't expect to recoup more than 80 to 85 % of the purchase price best case. I need to test audio modulation on mxs when I get it back from whites. Have you considered keeping it as a backup machine in case your ctx ends up in the shop for some reason?

Last edited:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am asking $650.00 but I might just hold on to it as a backup machine even thou it does squat in the salt water.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That price sounds reasonable. Disappointing. I think it will make a good backup for you. Still waiting for mine to come back from Whites.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am asking $650.00 but I might just hold on to it as a backup machine even thou it does squat in the salt water.

Sorry to hear that, I thought the fix was meant to make it like all the machine they claimed it was,

Hope you get a quick sale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread