have you ever found anything valueable in a chocolate kinder egg? i did !!

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
has anyone else ever found anything of value from a kinder surprise egg? years ago i bought one for my kid. it was a magic trick, a box with a coin ,when you slide the box the coin disapears then re-appears. well anyway my kid did the trick for me and when i saw the coin i asked if i could see it being a coin collector i just had to see it. to my surprise it was 5 lire 1848(if i can remember the date correctly) . i only collect canada and usa coins so i wasnt familiar with it so i checked ebay and noticed it was worth something . so i traded it to my kid for a loonie and listed it on ebay and it went for around $250 i couldnt beleive it!
i am wondering if kinder might put rare items in their eggs once in a while or if maybe kinder went to a coin place and picked a pile of "bargain bin " coins for use with this trick not knowing the coin was worth anything?
needless to say my kid got a new bike that year!!

OP
OP
snowdogg70

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so i guess that the lack of responses means that no one has found anything of value from a kinder egg :icon_scratch:
do you think this coin was put there on purpose or just the luck of a rare coin being used without being noticed by anyone?

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
Kinder Eggs are banned in the U.S. that may be a big reason why no one responded.

I never saw one and only heard of them in regards to the ban a few years ago. Once I heard what they were I wanted one. I'm sure there's a way I could get one but know now that I put my illegal desires on the internet the government will be watching me so I can't take that chance.

Next time I'm in Canada I'll have to look for them.

Great find by the way.

Paul

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was a solid chocolate egg. I only find peanut butter in chocolate eggs. Gonna have to research this egg you speak of.

OP
OP
snowdogg70

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.B. and Dylan said:
Kinder Eggs are banned in the U.S. that may be a big reason why no one responded.

I never saw one and only heard of them in regards to the ban a few years ago. Once I heard what they were I wanted one. I'm sure there's a way I could get one but know now that I put my illegal desires on the internet the government will be watching me so I can't take that chance.

Great find by the way.

Paul
illegal?? really????? for a bit of chocolate and a toy in an egg???????? wow ! its not like its cocaine ,,,, its chocolate and a small toy!!

Snickers1

Nov 24, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
snowdogg70 said:
P.B. and Dylan said:

Great find by the way.

Paul
illegal?? really????? for a bit of chocolate and a toy in an egg???????? wow ! its not like its cocaine ,,,, its chocolate and a small toy!!

The chocolate and cocaine would be ok, it's the toy that is illegal... :laughing3:

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
snowdogg70 said:

Haha. We incarcerate more people per capita than any other nation on earth.
It's always been like that here.
We chant "LAND OF THE FREE!!!!" at the top of our lungs, while creating the most comprehensive bureaucracy and network of laws on earth. There are people doing years in US Federal prison for importing seafood in bags rather than boxes :tard:

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
yea,there's something seriously wrong when the government bans candy because it has a toy in it. I understand the possible choking hazard but, speaking as a parent of two kids, people need to take some responsibility raising their kids. It is also effected by a 1938 federal food act that prohibits embedding non-nutritive items in confections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinder_Surprise

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd never heard of them before either, until I read this post and googled it. Seems they are prohibited, I found this-

Prohibition on sale or import into the United StatesWhile Kinder eggs have been available in Canada since 1975, the product has never been allowed into the US for several reasons. In 1993 the Ferrero Group (the maker of Kinder eggs) applied to have the eggs sold in the USA, but was turned down because of a prohibition against having an inedible item inside an edible object. Products like Cracker Jack that contain inedible toys in the same package are not subject to the ban because the toy is in the box, not in the food.[citation needed] More recently, the US Consumer Products Safety Commission determined in 2008 that the product did not meet the small-parts requirement for toys for children under the age of three, creating a choking and asphyxiation hazard in young children. From 1991 to 1998, at least 4 children around the world have died of choking after swallowing the toy inside the Kinder egg.

On January 10, 2011, it was reported that a Kinder egg was seized from a woman's car during a random inspection while entering the United States from Canada. She was informed that bringing the egg into the United States could result in a $300 fine. Seizures such as that one, and even the prohibition of the product itself, have been cited on political blogs and web forums as an example of an overzealous application of law and an intrusion upon personal liberty. The rationale against a ban of the product also takes the form that deaths have been too few for it to be considered a serious danger. Additionally, the argument is made that there should be a consistent standard in place, as several worse dangers are not regulated.

Here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinder_Surprise

Welcome to Amerika!

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh, kinder eggs, I have a collection of the toys I have pulled out of them, I (a grown man) always bought
them for myself when I lived in europe for all those years.

I never found anything valuable that I know of, I may of missed the boat on the coin trick one though.

I continued to get them for my kids and now I get them for my grandson, there is a black market for them here believe it or not. it's a 300 buck fine if customs catches you with one. I wonder what customs does with all the ones they seize? probably have a press conference and a big photo op. I have an order in now for some more, I buy them about 6 at a time from (mmmm, lets just say a dark alley at midnight in a large city, :laughing7: )

OP
OP
snowdogg70

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol , they are tasty tho

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
snowdogg70 said:
P.B. and Dylan said:

Great find by the way.

Paul

It's the fact of a toy and food touching each other. Also a choking hazard.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relichunters said:
snowdogg70 said:
P.B. and Dylan said:

Great find by the way.

Paul

It's the fact of a toy and food touching each other. Also a choking hazard.

Yet, you can still buy cereal with a toy inside and cracker jacks with a prize inside (a hunk of cardboard nowadays, :laughing7: ) not to mention that 20% or more is insect parts and feces >:(

I would rather have the chocolate with german purity laws on my side :wink:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a shocking bit of info, I am sure the canadians know of this. Years ago a new family moved into our neighborhood, they were from Canada and were going through the rigors of becoming citizens of the U.S.A. Shortly after moving in, one of the boys was having a birthday and naturally all their new friends were invited. We were warned ahead of time about the cake, chew carefully, there are coins baked in and some paper money also. canadian money.......I found a nickel in my piece and a few other friends also found coins, but the birthday boy got a 5 dollar bill, I don't know about you, but I think that was rigged. Has anyone else heard of this tradition......."Money Cake?"......NGE

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No coins in them... just cool toys and puzzles.

I had them the first time in Germany..

I found them a few years back at a store in Dallas.... I bought the rest they had and gave them to a friend who remembered them from his tour in Italy... he had always wanted to give some to his kids.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread