What's new

Have you ever seen anything like this

Shake-N-Bake

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
647
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Hello all,

While searching penny boxes today I came across this wierd penny. It kinda hard to tell by the picture but there is a nice solid raised edge all the way around both sides of the penny. With the edge that pretty much rules out someone rubbing it smooth. Also I thought maybe someone put it in a press and smooshed it but then the rim would be gone and the back would be smooth also. Well any ways take a look at the pics and let me know what you think.

I think I can kinda make out 1979 or maybe 1978.

Thanks,
Jason
 

Attachments

  • oddcoinfront.webp
    oddcoinfront.webp
    15.5 KB · Views: 350
  • oddcoinback.webp
    oddcoinback.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 348
Upvote 0
to me it looks like the face side never got stamped. I have a blank cent that I found a while ago, but neither side was stamped. those are somewhat common. but the one you have with the reverse side stamped seems to be a pretty big error.. keep it for sure!!
 
Looks like a broadstrike to me.
 
appears to be a capped die, when the penny gets stuck to one side and the design is clear on one side, while the other is blunted by the penny blank

HH
-GC
 
goldencoin said:
appears to be a capped die, when the penny gets stuck to one side and the design is clear on one side, while the other is blunted by the penny blank

HH
-GC
That's what i meant to say. I believe you are correct. You can see the memorial if you look closely. :thumbsup:
 
enamel7 said:
goldencoin said:
appears to be a capped die, when the penny gets stuck to one side and the design is clear on one side, while the other is blunted by the penny blank

HH
-GC
That's what i meant to say. I believe you are correct. You can see the memorial if you look closely. :thumbsup:

I think you might be correct... I can see the Memorial, more on the origanal than the scanned picture.

Are these really rare and do they have any value??

Thanks,
Jason
 
Cool, whatever it is it"s a keeper. Congrats :thumbsup:
 
Yes it has value. Yes it looks like a genuine error. I'm not sure on the value, but I assure you it is were more than a few bucks if it is genuine.

Congrats on the find.

Best way to get second opinions is at a coin show. Ask as many dealers as possible for opinions on authenticity and on value.

Enjoy
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom