What's new

Hawthorne Nevada quake swarm - connected to Baja?

Marc

Silver Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2003
Messages
3,321
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've been obsessed with California earthquakes ever since a 6.9 magnitude quake struck Baja California on August 3rd 2009...

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2009jwbh.php#summary

This article (various reports from Phoenix, 480 miles away from the epicenter) gives you an indication of the size of this earthquake... and it shows this was a series of large events... not just one.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/08/03/20090803phx-tremors-ON-CR.html

Problem is... since this historic even, "triggered quakes" have been rupturing in a general south-north line... including hundreds of 3 and greater quakes...

On Dec. 30th 2009, a 5.9 struck, again where the Pacific and North American plates meet....

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/ci14565620.php#summary

But it didn't stop there.

On April 4th, 2010, a 7.2 quake struck..

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/ci14607652.php#summary

​


​


​


(Can you imagine if that happened in Vegas?)

And it continued...

On July 7th, 2010, a 5.4 struck Borrego Springs California....

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/ci10736069.php#summary

Since then, there haven't been any 5 or greater quakes. on the plate boundaries.... but there have been thousands of 2 and greater quakes at the point where the Pacific and North American plates meet.

However, a couple weeks ago, a swarm of moderate earthquakes began occurring new Hawthorne Nevada...

Here are some related news stories....

What I am wondering is...

Is it possible the energy from the 2009 6.9 quake(s), and the 2010 7.2 quake is fracturing a line from Baja to Reno? (and possibly beyond?)

In this image, I added the red shading to an area where, I would not be surprised to see a major quake rupture in the very near future...

danger3.webp​

'Just voicing my concerns to the ether.. 8)

Here are the major quakes, in sequence as they happened... starting August 3rd, 2009... a mere 18 months ago... I would NOT want be there if the Hawthorne swarm is connected to the Baja events.
 

Attachments

  • 20090803-6_9.gif
    20090803-6_9.gif
    73 KB · Views: 258
  • 20091230-5_8.gif
    20091230-5_8.gif
    75.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 20100404-7_2.gif
    20100404-7_2.gif
    76.8 KB · Views: 240
  • 20100707-5_4.gif
    20100707-5_4.gif
    81.5 KB · Views: 258
Well, I don't want to say I "predicted" an earthquake...

But look at the post above, where I marked two large red dots...

15 minutes ago - a 4.5 occurred, pretty much where I marked the map....

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/ci14978940.php

I doubt this is the end of the quakes in this line / area. :o Yikes. These events ARE connected to the Baja events... IMHO.
 

Attachments

  • q1.webp
    q1.webp
    44.3 KB · Views: 240
... and the moderate quakes continue in CA...

:o
 

Attachments

  • q2.webp
    q2.webp
    42 KB · Views: 245

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom