pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Earbud cord can get caught on a twig and break. You may need an adapter and/or a volume control (?). Earbuds won't keep external sound out.

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Your Choice

In realitly all you really need is a low budget set of comfortable over ear cup style headphones . And since your starting out all you need to do is check the ohms and frequincey range . Most of the 8 ohm headphones work fine , and look up the expensive made of metal detecting headphones frequincey ranges and find a set that matches your pocket book . Sure , there are differences between the high end and low end like no volume control on each cup and some do , some don't and some have them on the cord and some have better cords than others and there will be no frills like limiter switches and most new ones today have 1/8" plugs so make sure they give a 1/4" adaptor with the set . Most have the same or close to the same drivers like 40 mm.
But there's a good pair out there for under $25 or so . Just shop around and you'll see . Or buckle to the pressures of those who advise you to get the best .. I only use what I can afford to now . I had the best and now I'm in the middle . IMHO , Woodstock

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A good compromise set is the Calrad 15-135B. They go for right around $25 a set. They're 8 Ohm, have a sturdy coiled cord with 90 degree angle 1/4" plug, a volume control and a stereo/mono switch. They're about the best value in detector headphones, IMO.
The more expensive headphones look better, are a little more comfortable (leather ear pads), are more sensitive to soft signals, and generally are a higher tone (which I like). My current favorite are the Killer B's, but the SunRay Pro Gold are very similar.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep trying to promote what I use, for metal detecting and my computer - a set of Philips SHS5200 phones - Google them, buy them..., can't go wrong!
You get to hear outside noise some, and that can be useful in the woods and public places.
Is very light weight, you can wear any hat, since the phones sit behind your head, hanging on your ears like a set of glasses. The cord has a strain-relief, so you don't get disconnected at the headset, and the cord is VERY forgiving, and super easy to keep from getting kinks, etc.
Priced under $30

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread