What's new

Headscratcher ????? Solved-Watch fob/key - Design first made for G.W.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
2,465
Reaction score
846
Golden Thread
1
Location
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what this thing is? The outside loop swivels as does the little ring at top?? It's actually quite heavy. The very tip of the center piece seems to have a small hole in it, like it once held something. The center piece also looks like it held something.
Found at a homestead dating back to the mid 1700's.

Brian
 

Attachments

  • Oct. 25th hunt 004 [50%].webp
    Oct. 25th hunt 004 [50%].webp
    52.9 KB · Views: 863
  • Oct. 25th hunt 005 [50%].webp
    Oct. 25th hunt 005 [50%].webp
    46.1 KB · Views: 862
  • Oct. 25th hunt 006 [50%].webp
    Oct. 25th hunt 006 [50%].webp
    42.3 KB · Views: 854
  • Oct. 25th hunt 007 [50%].webp
    Oct. 25th hunt 007 [50%].webp
    49.2 KB · Views: 865
  • Oct. 25th hunt 009 [50%].webp
    Oct. 25th hunt 009 [50%].webp
    68.3 KB · Views: 869
  • Oct. 25th hunt 010 [50%].webp
    Oct. 25th hunt 010 [50%].webp
    75.8 KB · Views: 865
Re: Headscratcher ?????

For some reason, your piece reminds me a lot of a small inside draw plane in my tool collection.
Don't know if that is what it is or not, but thought I would throw it out for discussion.
Neat item and good luck on the ID!
 

Attachments

  • plane.webp
    plane.webp
    66.4 KB · Views: 821
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

I think it is a swinger.
 

Attachments

  • s-hcat,p41(small).webp
    s-hcat,p41(small).webp
    39.4 KB · Views: 807
  • s-hcat,p41(small).webp
    s-hcat,p41(small).webp
    39.4 KB · Views: 802
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

creskol said:
For some reason, your piece reminds me a lot of a small inside draw plane in my tool collection.
Don't know if that is what it is or not, but thought I would throw it out for discussion.
Neat item and good luck on the ID!
I have that same plane. You know its a box scraper to remove the name on wood shipping boxes to ship again.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

bigcypresshunter said:
creskol said:
For some reason, your piece reminds me a lot of a small inside draw plane in my tool collection.
Don't know if that is what it is or not, but thought I would throw it out for discussion.
Neat item and good luck on the ID!
I have that same plane. You know its a box scraper to remove the name on wood shipping boxes to ship again.

Ah ,.. Thanks! I may have known that at one time, but I have long since forgotten. Thanks for the refresher!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

This thing is dainty. Wouldn't take much at all to break it. Also there isn't any threaded end. All the spinners seem to thread into a base of some sorts. My first thought was jewelry. Maybe hung around a chain?
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • GladeP_001.webp
    GladeP_001.webp
    62.7 KB · Views: 724
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

bigcypresshunter said:
baspinall said:
OMG I think it is. Yours is missing the center piece. Maybe Bob can give us a better pic.

Hi , It's 3:45 am here. I'm going to Harrisburg Pa this morning for some training by Minelab. When I get home this evening I'll hunt this thing up and gets some pics. I'm sure it's the same thing. HH Bob
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

Although it seems fairly large, it could possibly be a fob type watch key.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

johnnyi said:
Although it seems fairly large, it could possibly be a fob type watch key.

I think you are right, watch fob & key
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

baspinall said:
johnnyi said:
Although it seems fairly large, it could possibly be a fob type watch key.

I think you are right, watch fob & key
Maybe but Bobs doesnt look as if it has a key end.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

Baspinal, I've been trying to find the exact key for you, as the one I pictured the other day was only similar in general shape.

Here is a great article on your key, which also gives you a direct contct with the author. As you'll see, it is believed this key was modeled after a key designed by Jean Antone Lepine which was believed to have been given to George Washington in 1787. Your's is larger, and it does not bear a hallmark. This suggests to the author it is probably made in America, and is possibly Dutch.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...?q=watchkey&ndsp=21&hl=en&sa=N&start=210&um=1
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

johnnyi said:
Baspinal, I've been trying to find the exact key for you, as the one I pictured the other day was only similar in general shape.

Here is a great article on your key, which also gives you a direct contct with the author. As you'll see, it is believed this key was modeled after a key designed by Jean Antone Lepine which was believed to have been given to George Washington in 1787. Your's is larger, and it does not bear a hallmark. This suggests to the author it is probably made in America, and is possibly Dutch.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...?q=watchkey&ndsp=21&hl=en&sa=N&start=210&um=1
Wow great ID and Im thinking a banner find! :o :icon_thumright:

If TN would give awards for taking the time to research and making a great ID, you johnnyi deserve a trophy for this one!! :notworthy: You are fairly new here, but without people like you and many others for years volunteering time to research, items like these would remain unknown and possibly in the junk box. Green check. solved check.gif
 

Attachments

  • solved check.gif
    solved check.gif
    589 bytes · Views: 555
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

I think Bedfordbobs find is a colonial pendant. It describes it in the link. I vote put the two together in a combination banner find. 8) colonial pendant.webp
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

Actually Brian's particular fiind is the watch key, as the key mount is cearly visible. The iron extention on watch keys is the most fragile part, and almost always we find it broken off at the joint as it is here. I agree, this is a most interesting find, as is any find is when you can include the name "George Washington" even peripherally in it's history! Hopefully Brian will report his find to "Smith's" to be included in a future article.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

johnnyi said:
Actually Brian's particular fiind is the watch key, as the key mount is cearly visible.
How can you be sure the picture is so small? ??? Did you read your link where they describe a look-a-like pendant? or are you suggesting the link is incorrect?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

Cy, I found the link, of course I read it. The pendant is on the right. It was made without the key extension. The lack of a key extension is very clearly visible. The keys are the other examples pictured. they all have the key extension. These extensions are also clearly visible.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

johnnyi said:
Cy, I found the link, of course I read it. The pendant is on the right. It was made without the key extension. The lack of a key extension is very clearly visible. The keys are the other examples pictured. they all have the key extension. These extensions are also clearly visible.
Now you are flip flopping or I misunderstand? :D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

"Now you are flip flopping or I misunderstand?"

Cy, I don't understand what this atatement means? Let me be clearer. The image in the link which is to the right shows no key extension. it is the pendant. In fact there there is no casting base for a key extension on the pendant so it is unmistakable.

The other images in the link are the keys, and they show the key extensions. They too cannot be mistaken for anything but keys.

Brian's example is the key, and clerarly matches those in the link with key extensions. Hoipe that clears it up for you? :)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom