What's new

Headscratcher ????? Solved-Watch fob/key - Design first made for G.W.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
2,465
Reaction score
846
Golden Thread
1
Location
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what this thing is? The outside loop swivels as does the little ring at top?? It's actually quite heavy. The very tip of the center piece seems to have a small hole in it, like it once held something. The center piece also looks like it held something.
Found at a homestead dating back to the mid 1700's.

Brian
 

Attachments

  • Oct. 25th hunt 004 [50%].webp
    Oct. 25th hunt 004 [50%].webp
    52.9 KB · Views: 863
  • Oct. 25th hunt 007 [50%].webp
    Oct. 25th hunt 007 [50%].webp
    49.2 KB · Views: 865
  • Oct. 25th hunt 006 [50%].webp
    Oct. 25th hunt 006 [50%].webp
    42.3 KB · Views: 854
  • Oct. 25th hunt 005 [50%].webp
    Oct. 25th hunt 005 [50%].webp
    46.1 KB · Views: 862
  • Oct. 25th hunt 009 [50%].webp
    Oct. 25th hunt 009 [50%].webp
    68.3 KB · Views: 869
  • Oct. 25th hunt 010 [50%].webp
    Oct. 25th hunt 010 [50%].webp
    75.8 KB · Views: 865
Re: Headscratcher ?????

I apologize Johnnyi as my computer keeps shutting down. Im talking about BedfordBobs find. Of course I can tell which is the one with the key and I realize you found the link LOL.

BedfordBobs find appears to be a pendant and YOUR link describes it. Do you think its broken off?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

johnnyi said:
"Now you are flip flopping or I misunderstand?"

Cy, I don't understand what this atatement means? Let me be clearer. The image in the link which is to the right shows no key extension. it is the pendant. In fact there there is no casting base for a key extension on the pendant so it is unmistakable.

The other images in the link are the keys, and they show the key extensions. They too cannot be mistaken for anything but keys.

Brian's example is the key, and clerarly matches those in the link with key extensions. Hoipe that clears it up for you? :)
I posted in reply number 15 about a pendant and I thought you were disputing it. Just a misunderstanding. I missed the name or didnt realize who Brian is. This is BedfordBobs pendant pictured and I thought you were saying it was broken. I dont think it is broken. You confused me when you said the key part was broken. 8)
 

Attachments

  • GladeP_001.webp
    GladeP_001.webp
    62.7 KB · Views: 489
  • GladeP_001.webp
    GladeP_001.webp
    62.7 KB · Views: 463
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

I see now that baspinal (Brian) has a part broken off the key. I didnt notice that before.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

Cy, Ha! yes no problem, just a misunderstanding. Too many names I guess. What we are identifying is Baspinal's (Brian's) object pictured at the beginning of the post. It is the key. It has the brass mount for the extension, but as I mentioned earlier, the iron extension is missing. Still there is no mistaking it for the key, as it has the brass extension, while the pendant does not.

Regarding what Smith's descibes as a "pendant", I agree with you that the image is not large enough to tell for certain if that particular object is in fact a pendant, or if it is also a key where the brass mount for the iron has broken off. It is very possible that Smith's is wrong to suppose it is not a broken key also.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

OK Johnnyi thanks for understanding. :icon_thumright: Too many names, I got mixed up. My computer shutting down doesnt help. Brians great find is also missing the Carnelian I think. It would be great to see a better pic of Bedfordbobs pendant. (or watch fob :D)



But if this makes the banner, who gets the award? I say put the two (pendant and watch fob) together in one cool banner.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

Ha! Cy, the way fantastic stuff has been popping out of the ground in Canada the last couple days, a watch key might need "G.W.'s" initials on it toget up there. ;D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

Try this again, No Flower on camera setting ??? Should be there
 

Attachments

  • watchthing 001.webp
    watchthing 001.webp
    87 KB · Views: 398
  • watchthing 004.webp
    watchthing 004.webp
    43.3 KB · Views: 399
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

Bedfordbob said:
Here's a better pic of mine or close up a bit blurry
Do you have a Macro lens (flower iconmacro.webp) on your camera?

What kind of gemstone is that in the center?
 

Attachments

  • macro.webp
    macro.webp
    342 bytes · Views: 340
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

bigcypresshunter said:
Wow great ID and Im thinking a banner find! :o :icon_thumright:

If TN would give awards for taking the time to research and making a great ID, you johnnyi deserve a trophy for this one!! :notworthy: You are fairly new here, but without people like you and many others for years volunteering time to research, items like these would remain unknown and possibly in the junk box. Green check.

Agreed! You did a great job in searching out the answer to this mystery! :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

bigcypresshunter said:
Bedfordbob said:
Here's a better pic of mine or close up a bit blurry
Do you have a Macro lens (flower icon
) on your camera?

What kind of gemstone is that in the center?

Think it's just glass ???
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

Bedfordbob said:
Try this again, No Flower on camera setting ??? Should be there
All cameras do not have a Macro lens and are not made for close up pictures. All you can do is back up and crop. Your pics are better.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

Awesome relics and ID :hello2: :hello2:

My Banner votes are in :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

johnnyi said:
Baspinal, I've been trying to find the exact key for you, as the one I pictured the other day was only similar in general shape.

Here is a great article on your key, which also gives you a direct contact with the author. As you'll see, it is believed this key was modeled after a key designed by Jean Antone Lepine which was believed to have been given to George Washington in 1787. Your's is larger, and it does not bear a hallmark. This suggests to the author it is probably made in America, and is possibly Dutch.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...?q=watchkey&ndsp=21&hl=en&sa=N&start=210&um=1

Holy cow johnnyi! Thanks. Have to got to work now but can't wait to read that article. Very Cool on the research. I couldn't come up with much. I will most definately send those folks pictures and the story. The find was made next to a 18th century PA Governors home as well.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Headscratcher ?????

baspinall said:
johnnyi said:
Baspinal, I've been trying to find the exact key for you, as the one I pictured the other day was only similar in general shape.

Here is a great article on your key, which also gives you a direct contact with the author. As you'll see, it is believed this key was modeled after a key designed by Jean Antone Lepine which was believed to have been given to George Washington in 1787. Your's is larger, and it does not bear a hallmark. This suggests to the author it is probably made in America, and is possibly Dutch.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...?q=watchkey&ndsp=21&hl=en&sa=N&start=210&um=1

Holy cow johnnyi! Thanks. Have to got to work now but can't wait to read that article. Very Cool on the research. I couldn't come up with much. I will most definately send those folks pictures and the story. The find was made next to a 18th century PA Governors home as well.

Wow!!!!! Now that it has been identified, I think you might want to post this over in today's finds. This is something that deserves to be on the BANNER. My vote is in!!!!
 
Upvote 0
Is there a link to a place that would give a size measurement as one is supposed to be 1/3 larger in size than the other. Thanks BB
 
Upvote 0
BB - I contacted the guy in the article. He has not gotten back to me as of yet. I'll let you know if he does. The center piece of the one I found is 1 3/8 x 1 1/4 inch.
Yours?

Brian
 
Upvote 0
baspinall said:
BB - I contacted the guy in the article. He has not gotten back to me as of yet. I'll let you know if he does. The center piece of the one I found is 1 3/8 x 1 1/4 inch.
Yours?

Brian
BTW I voted to put the two together in a banner. I hope you will post his reply.
 
Upvote 0
baspinall said:
BB - I contacted the guy in the article. He has not gotten back to me as of yet. I'll let you know if he does. The center piece of the one I found is 1 3/8 x 1 1/4 inch.
Yours?

Brian

Hi Brian, Thanks for the info and reply. The center piece of mine ( the part that spins from the inside of the frame) measures 1 3/16 wide by 1 1/16 high. Pretty close, the difference could be because they were custom made or from being squashed in the ground ??? They are pretty cool and I'm glad you posted yours under "What is it" or mine may have set for years or maybe forever before I had a clue what it might be. Thanks again, BB
bigcypresshunter said:
baspinall said:
BB - I contacted the guy in the article. He has not gotten back to me as of yet. I'll let you know if he does. The center piece of the one I found is 1 3/8 x 1 1/4 inch.
Yours?

BigCypress, Thanks for the Banner nomination from the both of us I'm sure
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom