What's new

heart attack....then dissapointment....Update nice piece of history..

TnT2000

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2006
Messages
474
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Easton PA
Went out today for a few hours to our pounded site I decided to hit the un-walkable area's got a signal that I figured was a shotgun shell or pull tab, I dug the dirt out and scanned the pile, it was out of the hole, I piked up the dirt and this is what I saw sticking out, (of course with dirt on it and I saw the gold) so you can see where the excitement came from.

md52 012.webp

then I cleaned the dirt off and saw the rest...awwwwww....

md52 007.webp

It says CUBA MUST BE FREE on one side and REMEMBER THE MAIN on the other.
some short research tells me it is a Spanish American war pendant from 1893, If anyone has more info let me know.

The gun is from another hunt got a 1910 wheat and a 1927 wheat as well..

md52 008.webp
 

Attachments

  • md52 005.webp
    md52 005.webp
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,180
Upvote 0
Re: heart attack....then dissapointment....oh well..

Nice piece of history! That's one to put in the keeper pile.
 
Re: heart attack....then dissapointment....oh well..

I'm glad you found that pistol. I'd be soaking it in penetrating oil and ordering parts, by the time I was done you could buy a new one. seriously those are awesome finds.
 
Re: heart attack....then dissapointment....oh well..

I feel your pain but hey ... nice find anyway ... congratz and continued good hunting!
 
Re: heart attack....then dissapointment....oh well..

That's a great find,don't be disappointed.As an aside,it's now believed the Maine was not attacked but suffered an internal explosion in her munitions bunker.
 
Re: heart attack....then dissapointment....oh well..

Can understand your disappointment, but I think it is still a nice find.

HH,
Pepper
 
Re: heart attack....then dissapointment....oh well..

Here's some articles....and clipart!
 

Attachments

  • remember the maine 3a.webp
    remember the maine 3a.webp
    157 KB · Views: 757
  • remember the maine 2a.webp
    remember the maine 2a.webp
    60.8 KB · Views: 761
  • remember the maine 1a.webp
    remember the maine 1a.webp
    142.2 KB · Views: 767
Re: heart attack....then dissapointment....oh well..

I'd love to find one of those any day :)

HH
-GC
 
Re: heart attack....then dissapointment....oh well..

Great historical find ya got there!

Congrats!
 
Re: heart attack....then dissapointment....oh well..

It's all in the eyes of the beholder! A gold coin would be nice but what you have found makes a gold coin almost an every day find. Congrats on such a super find! HH

Desertfox
 
Re: heart attack....then dissapointment....oh well..

Yes! An excellant find my friend! I'd be proud to be an owner of such treasure! Detectahead
 
Re: heart attack....then dissapointment....oh well..

Thank you all for all your great replies and history, to be honest I new nothing about the Main...and now that I do Believe me I am proud to have found the piece and it is being added to my collection...

Thanks again TnT
 
Very nice piece T....I'd take it anyday,definetley one for the collection....Congrat's and HH!!
 
Re: heart attack....then dissapointment....oh well..

TnT2000 said:
Thank you all for all your great replies and history, to be honest I new nothing about the Main...and now that I do Believe me I am proud to have found the piece and it is being added to my collection...

Thanks again TnT

And well you should be! That's a super find! 8) Congrats!

Nana :)
 
Foremost, Tnt200, great find.

For Plehbah: Thought you might find this to be interesting in light of your comment to LI Tom. This is from AmericanHeritage.com:

But had the men whom Taft called “martyred defenders” of the Republic indeed been the victims of an enemy attack? Questions about the cause of the explosion that had killed them lingered on for three-quarters of a century, until in the 1970s Adm. Hyman Rickover stepped in. Rickover enlisted a team of engineers who conducted a thorough scientific investigation of the cause of the Maine’s explosion. The group had access to the Navy’s 1898 and 1911 investigations, as well as the benefit of modern knowledge of marine explosions and, of course, Captain Ferguson’s detailed photographs. Rickover’s study disproved the Navy’s earlier findings; in all probability the explosion that destroyed the Maine had come from deep inside the ship.

All the evidence indicated that combustible fumes in one of the coal bunkers spontaneously ignited, setting off a chain of explosions in adjacent magazines that sent the Maine to the bottom. It was not an enemy’s “infernal machine” but an unlucky and probably avoidable mishap that propelled America’s foreign policy into the twentieth century.


Hmm...you questioning Adm Rickover's findings? Or...are you calling his findings anti-American? Better think twice before you answer that one, my friend.
---Mel

borninok
 
That's an awesome find. I'd be stoked.

Congrats!
Brendan
 
And here's a newspaper article I researched regarding Adm Rickover and the Maine....I had to break it up in two sections....It was too big and downsizing it would have prevented you from reading it....

By the way...I had the pleasure of meeting Adm Rickover back in '81 at EB Shipyard (Groton, CT) along with the then VP: George Bush (Papa Bush) and the then Sec of the Navy: John Lehman (I was his duty driver!).

Adm Rickover was quite the character and a real pleasure to talk with and let me tell you...that man can talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the article!

PS: just read the entire article LOL....it only gives a small bit about the Maine...but I do find the rest of the article quite interesting....(and the comments I am thinking need to be placed in the political forum!)
 

Attachments

  • remember the maine 4b.webp
    remember the maine 4b.webp
    142.9 KB · Views: 307
  • remember the maine 4c.webp
    remember the maine 4c.webp
    149.6 KB · Views: 301
That pendant is very cool. . . nice piece of history
 
Maybe Tony Montana lost the Cuba Must Be Free pin?? :)
 
Here's another article....isn't Castro dead yet?
 

Attachments

  • remember the maine 5b.webp
    remember the maine 5b.webp
    187 KB · Views: 296

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom