What's new

Heart Breakers and Shards

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a hunt today for a few hours. Found the pottery in the creek and the others on the way back on the edge of the field. The last one is an unfinished piece. Looks like they ran out of stone and probably threw it down. I like it cause its an oddity.
On the way back I found a Yellow Jacket nest at least my ankle did (ouch). And my buddy found a ant hill with his feet.
It was a fun morning anyway. HH, rock
 

Attachments

  • 100_3806.webp
    100_3806.webp
    340.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 100_3809.webp
    100_3809.webp
    247.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 100_3810.webp
    100_3810.webp
    168.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 100_3811.webp
    100_3811.webp
    193.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 100_3815.webp
    100_3815.webp
    126.1 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0
Man, I'm sorry about the yellow jackets. I got it last summer. I didn't think they nested in the ground in wet summers. I'm still so paranoid, I can't look for artifacts for looking for those devils. Other than that, you found some nice looking stuff. You have really made progress in a short time period. Hope you feel better bro.
 
Way to go rock! That site has come a long way for you. This year is a "Yellow Jacket Summer". Looks like they tried with that last hornstone piece but it was not cooperating. The quartz looks pretty nice though. Good hunt
 
Where online is the best place to research pottery? I've seen pieces similar to that but throw them down. Is there a dead give away when determining if its pottery or a thin rock?
 
Where online is the best place to research pottery? I've seen pieces similar to that but throw them down. Is there a dead give away when determining if its pottery or a thin rock?

Yeah I pick some rocks up and then know it isnt pottery. Its the texture if its plain and of course there can be decoration. The 2 on the bottom are plain but the one on top shows decoration. Looks like punch holes in a row 2 lines of them. I was excited to see that design cause I havent found it before. I found some other broken pieces but these were the best out of everything. Rocks are usually heavier if it isnt a shard.
 
Man, I'm sorry about the yellow jackets. I got it last summer. I didn't think they nested in the ground in wet summers. I'm still so paranoid, I can't look for artifacts for looking for those devils. Other than that, you found some nice looking stuff. You have really made progress in a short time period. Hope you feel better bro.

I was leaving the creek and stepped on a rotten log I guess they were in it. I felt it and looked down and they were swarming. I didnt know I could run that fast!
 
Way to go rock! That site has come a long way for you. This year is a "Yellow Jacket Summer". Looks like they tried with that last hornstone piece but it was not cooperating. The quartz looks pretty nice though. Good hunt

Yeah the quartz piece is whole and the Jasper is a whole worked reduction flake with secondary on the edges.
 
Nice finds Rock- Hate yellow jackets. Use to push mow grass at a summer camp with my friends. Was always a laugh when you wound see them start running and swatting. Got my share of stings too though.
 
Your shards are very similar to what I find in my creek and I've found out that as they dry out their patterns show more. I'm jealous and coveting your flint pieces ... why can't I find that kind of stuff :-( ... just teasing...all great finds there rock...you have a good eye.
 
Where online is the best place to research pottery? I've seen pieces similar to that but throw them down. Is there a dead give away when determining if its pottery or a thin rock?

hbrown22...here is a site with good info all around. Most pottery shards have a curve to them and depending on where you live will have black on the inside of the curve.
 
Hey Rock...each post is getting better...looks like you are into some nice stuff....darn I hate those yellow jackets...I remember stepping on a hive in the Great Smoky Mountains and hearing a hum in my ears...that is the fastest I have ever run...too the creek!...I hate em....nice finds my friend...like that sugar quartz piece too...I'm still looking for that white whale....
 
Here is the other side of the black and brown one. Would of been a great center piece if it was whole. No shocker but all the flint look Archaic period to me. I found some other types of flint but they werent the best I have ever found.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3817.webp
    100_3817.webp
    202.9 KB · Views: 74
Your shards are very similar to what I find in my creek and I've found out that as they dry out their patterns show more. I'm jealous and coveting your flint pieces ... why can't I find that kind of stuff :-( ... just teasing...all great finds there rock...you have a good eye.

I looked at a pottery site today and I think the one piece with punch marks is called......Wheeler and it dates late archaic period. Glad you like the finds.
 
Hey Rock!! Great Finds!! CONGRATS!! I also had the opportunity to find a jacket nest, but was fortunate enough to step on it until I had to run!! Yea, you know the rest of the story!! YEOW!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!
 
I was leaving the creek and stepped on a rotten log I guess they were in it. I felt it and looked down and they were swarming. I didnt know I could run that fast!

Lol! I know what you mean. I swear they chased me a mile last year. All day that pic. Of your leg was stuck in my head. I went out after work a little while and all I could look for were yellow jackets. I feel for you. No one deserves what you got today.
 
Lol! I know what you mean. I swear they chased me a mile last year. All day that pic. Of your leg was stuck in my head. I went out after work a little while and all I could look for were yellow jackets. I feel for you. No one deserves what you got today.

Dang it hurt all day yesterday throbbing and swollen but today it feels much better. After I out ran them I looked down and there was one on my shoe still. I yanked my shoe off just in time before he crawled into it. I was only stung once thank goodness. I wont be stepping on any more logs I will say. I dont like to step over them when you cant see what is on the other side due to snakes like to crawl under them. Ill just have to go around them for now on.
 
Dang it hurt all day yesterday throbbing and swollen but today it feels much better. After I out ran them I looked down and there was one on my shoe still. I yanked my shoe off just in time before he crawled into it. I was only stung once thank goodness. I wont be stepping on any more logs I will say. I dont like to step over them when you cant see what is on the other side due to snakes like to crawl under them. Ill just have to go around them for now on.

I saw a friend of mine almost get bit by a copperhead as he stepped over an old tree. He never saw the snake strike at him. I saw it because I stepped over the tree first. Lol! I must have set the snakes fight or flight into high gear, causing my fried to almost get it. One sting!! You got lucky. I got 15 that I know of. Talk about the birth of a phobia.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom