HEAVIEST COIN TO DATE

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, it's not the heaviest by weight, but merely by name. And My first One Pound coin ever. England makes an interesting coin. Love the inscription on the side. And it's sooo thick.

Pound_Obv.JPG Pound_Rev.JPG Pound_Side.JPG

Upvote 10

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very very nice. Did you find it locally?

OP
OP
M

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't find it at Dennis the Menace park. LOL. Found it at a Elementary school ball field here in the foothills near hwy 41.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found one of those last week, at a middle school in Michigan!! Very unique coin. I am guessing mine was a lost show and tell object. Nice find:icon_thumleft:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's one thick coin.cool

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, they are chunky little coins...the Brits know how to make coins right. That's what our dollar coins (that never seem to catch on) should look and feel like. I think there's one type from England, Scotland, and Wales if I recall correctly. It's also worth about $1.50 if you go to England--I've dug several over there while detecting in a local field to my in-laws and they add up fast...sometimes I can actually afford a pint when I'm done detecting! :laughing7:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
last week I used a ruler to recover dropped nickels under the magner coin machine at the cu in Kingston,ny and out slides a 1993 "degus et tutamen" one pounder, a few qtrs, dimes and nicks making up for a few weeks of machine short counts.

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, they are chunky little coins...the Brits know how to make coins right. That's what our dollar coins (that never seem to catch on) should look and feel like. I think there's one type from England, Scotland, and Wales if I recall correctly. It's also worth about $1.50 if you go to England--I've dug several over there while detecting in a local field to my in-laws and they add up fast...sometimes I can actually afford a pint when I'm done detecting! :laughing7:

I, personally, could never stand the £1 coin when I spent some time in England. If I remember correctly, the smallest paper denomination is £5. So, every time you bought something inexpensive like a candy bar, or whatever, your change from your £5 note was always 3 or 4 thick, heavy coins. By the end of the day you might be carrying a pound (literally) of bulky coins in your front pocket. :laughing7: I don't know why they don't just print a £1 paper note? Oh, well...

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one hefty looking coin!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I, personally, could never stand the £1 coin when I spent some time in England. If I remember correctly, the smallest paper denomination is £5. So, every time you bought something inexpensive like a candy bar, or whatever, your change from your £5 note was always 3 or 4 thick, heavy coins. By the end of the day you might be carrying a pound (literally) of bulky coins in your front pocket. :laughing7: I don't know why they don't just print a £1 paper note? Oh, well...

Hi CS,

Well I did say they know how to make coins right--not paper notes! :laughing7: ...I agree with you that England should also have a £1 note too as all those £1 coins do get heavy!

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We like these and call them nuggets...

OP
OP
M

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pocket full of heavy coins at the end of the day means more coins in the jar. The American method of a Savings account.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions