What's new

Heel plate question.

Dirty Digger Doug

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2020
Messages
527
Reaction score
3,007
Golden Thread
0
Location
Grand Rapids Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any significance of the heart in a heel plate?

IMG_20210327_191457871~2.webp
 
Nailed to the bottom of ladies shoes. They made hearts, shamrocks, stars, and who knows what else. Lower left item is sling attachment for the forend of a rifle. Gary
 
I belive it was a ladies item. Ladies of ill repute wore them to announce there presence in the old western towns....I think I read that somewhere. The heart shaped foot prints could be followed back to the brothel !! The one I have with a star dates to the 1860s.
 
I would have to think they were a vanity item. When you had a heel plate put on your shoe you could get a vanity plate for a penny more. We call that an up sale.
 
I belive it was a ladies item. Ladies of ill repute wore them to announce there presence in the old western towns....I think I read that somewhere. The heart shaped foot prints could be followed back to the brothel !! The one I have with a star dates to the 1860s.
that was from and old western novel about womans boots and brothels
Ive have a few heart ones that are off mens boots
they made them in hearts, spades, clubs and diamonds for the cards
then there are stars and a few other shapes you couldve chose from - there are some out there that believe they are all from CW boots
we find a lot of them up here in New england - I got a bunch from farm fields over the yrs
they were put on to keep the wood or leather heels from wearing down
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom