Hello all! General CRH stuff

Echostatic

Oct 4, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Primary Interest:
Other
Hopefully I am posting this in the right place!

Well, I just recently started CRHing and found the newbie guide here to be pretty helpful. So far I have looked thru 2 boxes of cents, a box of nickels, a box of dimes, and just finished a box of halves. I found a handful of unremarkable wheats, a handful of older nickels in decent shape (no silver) no dimes to speak of, and some interesting half dollars, if not any silver. I read that halves from 2002-present were only issued to collectors and not meant for circulation, but people must be spending a lot of them. My $500 box contained three 2003's, three 2006's, a 2009 and a 2012. Are these 2002 and newer halves always this common?

There were a good number of them in very good shape as well, worth keeping some for that reason alone. I'm going to take some that are only lightly blemished and draw the copper out with heat and a methanol bath, electroplate with zinc and alloy it into brass. I think I can make some cool brass coin jewelry to give as gifts out of some of these common but pretty coins.

Aside from boxed coins, a teller passed on a 1977 Ike dollar coin, and my dad just gave me his coin collection, which is pretty cool. I'll go ahead and list what it consists of.

1922 peace dollar (given to him by his uncle)
1971 gold plated Ike dollar (he got as a teenager)
two 1964 half dollars
1968 half dollar
1979 and 1999 SBA dollar
1964 quarter
1943 steel cent
1936 and 1944 walking liberty half dollars
1944 mercury dime
1936 buffalo nickel, and two with the dates worn off
1947 nickel
1913, two 1917s, and 1927 wheat cents

So all that is really cool to get from him. I still have an unsearched box of cents to go through. Unfortunately I can't go through boxes too quickly as the banks around here require the coins to be wrapped or you get charged a fee, so that takes some time. Out of curiosity, how many boxes of halves do you guys tend to order from a bank at a time? I'd like more than one, but I don't want to ask for too many and risk their ire.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
pennsylvania.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post. So, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
2nd - You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
coin_collection.gif
3rd - Nice finds on your first CRH search and I'm sure members will jump in shortly to answer your questions Echostatic.

Welcome! What state do you hunt in? Thanks for sharing the introduction post! :)

Welcome to the hobby and to the forum. Nice collection from your Dad. The buffalo nickels were only minted up until 1938 so you wouldn't have a 1947 buffalo there. Good luck with your searches.

As for your question about how many boxes to order- id start with the one- build a good relationship with the tellers and then up it to 2-3 and then if your budget allows up it from there
HH

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Ah right, silly me. I knew that. Updated to three buffalo nickels. I updated my profile, I'm in Texas waiting for the weather to cool down. My bank near work is pretty friendly, my dad does most of the family business banking there. I'll see about upping the half dollar order before long. Thanks for the welcomes!

Welcome to the hobby and to the forum. I'll take a stab at a couple of your questions.

NIFC halves (2002-present) are more common than you'd expect them to be. Some folks save all of them, some save 2-3 of each year/mintmark, and some dump them all. I kept them all at first - until I realized that they weren't at all uncommon to find. I then made an attempt to sell or trade them. When I couldn't even get $0.51 each for them in trade, I kept 2 of each date and mintmark for my personal collection and dumped the rest. With that said, I have heard of a few people selling them for a profit on ebay or Craigslist, while others like myself were unsuccessful. I'm not a high volume searcher, but I would estimate I have found over 2000 NIFC halves. As I said earlier, they just aren't as rare as you'd expect them to be.

As for how many boxes is "too many" to ask for, there is no answer. Every bank/vault teller/branch manager is different. I have heard of 1-2 box maximum orders, and I believe that I remember a few folks that have posted here that made 16-20 box orders from the same bank. My suggestion is to just simply talk to the person at the bank that does the coin ordering. Politely state to him/her what you stated here - that you don't want to overburden them, but you want to order as many boxes as possible. Keep in mind that the banks' biggest fear when ordering boxes of halves is that the customer will pull a "no-show" and stick them with a bunch of unwanted halves that take up space in the vault that they really do not have. So, if you always promptly pick up your box orders, after a period of time you might very well find that your maximum order can be increased.

Well, I just recently started CRHing and found the newbie guide here to be pretty helpful. So far I have looked thru 2 boxes of cents, a box of nickels, a box of dimes, and just finished a box of halves. I found a handful of unremarkable wheats, a handful of older nickels in decent shape (no silver) no dimes to speak of, and some interesting half dollars, if not any silver. I read that halves from 2002-present were only issued to collectors and not meant for circulation, but people must be spending a lot of them. My $500 box contained three 2003's, three 2006's, a 2009 and a 2012. Are these 2002 and newer halves always this common?

There were a good number of them in very good shape as well, worth keeping some for that reason alone. I'm going to take some that are only lightly blemished and draw the copper out with heat and a methanol bath, electroplate with zinc and alloy it into brass. I think I can make some cool brass coin jewelry to give as gifts out of some of these common but pretty coins.

Aside from boxed coins, a teller passed on a 1977 Ike dollar coin, and my dad just gave me his coin collection, which is pretty cool. I'll go ahead and list what it consists of.

1922 peace dollar (given to him by his uncle)
1971 gold plated Ike dollar (he got as a teenager)
two 1964 half dollars
1968 half dollar
1979 and 1999 SBA dollar
1964 quarter
1943 steel cent
1936 and 1944 walking liberty half dollars
1944 mercury dime
1936 buffalo nickel, and two with the dates worn off
1947 nickel
1913, two 1917s, and 1927 wheat cents

So all that is really cool to get from him. I still have an unsearched box of cents to go through. Unfortunately I can't go through boxes too quickly as the banks around here require the coins to be wrapped or you get charged a fee, so that takes some time. Out of curiosity, how many boxes of halves do you guys tend to order from a bank at a time? I'd like more than one, but I don't want to ask for too many and risk their ire.

same here with re-rolling. rerolling is better because you can get the money right away. just get really fast at it and you'll be find. roll them right back in the wrappers they came in

As for how many boxes is "too many" to ask for, there is no answer. Every bank/vault teller/branch manager is different. I have heard of 1-2 box maximum orders, and I believe that I remember a few folks that have posted here that made 16-20 box orders from the same bank. My suggestion is to just simply talk to the person at the bank that does the coin ordering. Politely state to him/her what you stated here - that you don't want to overburden them, but you want to order as many boxes as possible. Keep in mind that the banks' biggest fear when ordering boxes of halves is that the customer will pull a "no-show" and stick them with a bunch of unwanted halves that take up space in the vault that they really do not have. So, if you always promptly pick up your box orders, after a period of time you might very well find that your maximum order can be increased.

Good advice, I'll talk to the teller about it when I go up there next.

same here with re-rolling. rerolling is better because you can get the money right away. just get really fast at it and you'll be find. roll them right back in the wrappers they came in

Unfortunately my bank uses Brinks, everything but halves come in those clear plastic sleeves.

Gotta find a coin machine- just search "Bank" in MSN maps after you zoom in close to your area and start phone calling- then check for fees and open an account at the best one. Good luck!

I read a post earlier about someone saying not to save post 02 halfs, I recommend you DO SAVE them. I have someone in my area who buys them from me for .80, .30 protit on each one is pretty nice, that 6 bucks a roll. Just my 2 cents :)

I read a post earlier about someone saying not to save post 02 halfs, I recommend you DO SAVE them. I have someone in my area who buys them from me for .80, .30 protit on each one is pretty nice, that 6 bucks a roll. Just my 2 cents :)

Thats awesome you have a constant source to sale them- so many of us dont though and it takes up the CRH funds-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Putting away 2002 and newer isn't too bad for me. $4 for this box. I dumped some coins today, I have some dimes to roll and a box of pennies to look through before I head back for more. I think I'll dump again, see if my bank has any of the new $100 bills, and if so, get $1000 worth. If none are keepers, I can take them to my pickup bank and get a couple boxes of halves.

New 100s are suppppper nice, and there's a crazy premium in ebay right now

Well, I just recently started CRHing and found the newbie guide here to be pretty helpful.

+10 for reading something that took alot of member hours to compile. I believe you might be the first
one that I have seen that has joined within the last year actually read it.

That is pretty good start to a collection that your dad gave to you, now all you have to do is add to it.
Be very careful, it can be addicting! ;)

+10 for reading something that took alot of member hours to compile. I believe you might be the first
one that I have seen that has joined within the last year actually read it.

That is pretty good start to a collection that your dad gave to you, now all you have to do is add to it.
Be very careful, it can be addicting! ;)

This^ +10 from me too!

Welcome to the Board. Glad you took the time to read it, it has some excellent info.

HH!
BRChiver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back