Hello from western Canada!

Rednine

Apr 2, 2020
Foothills of the Rockies
Detector(s) used
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been lurking for a while... and finally decided I should step out of the shadows.

I've always been a bit of a treasure seeker. Probably got the bug from my father and all the times we'd spend afternoons hunting through auto wrecker yards back in the early 60's, for parts and fun! Learned a lot of history too... Remember when they kept cars/trucks intact and didn't sell them for scrap? You could go through everything from a model T to a row of freshly wrecked 340 Dodge Demons... Man, those were good days...

Anyhow, retiring in another year or so and with this virus keeping me indoors, I happened to catch a couple of detecting videos on youtube. Started me thinking this might be a fun new hobby to take up and a way to spend some quality time with my grandkids. The only thing that kind of held me back was this area, along the foothills of the Rockies, where we have little European history, being it didn't start being settled until the late 1800's.

Ended up purchasing a Garrett Ace 400 bundle package with wireless Z-link headphones and a pro-pointer AT. Also purchased a Garrett edge digger and a Ground Hawg shovel. Did as much research as I could and knew I wanted something plug and go... Plus, it's made in the good old USA, and I like to keep my business and people employed in at least NA! Figured if I enjoyed it, I'd end up passing it along to one of the kids and upgrade. Hoping to get out soon but we still have frost in the ground and it didn't start warming up until this week. Lol. Summers are short and winters long here!

So, hi all! I imagine I'll have a few questions now and then. If anyone here lives in the
Calgary area, I'd love to hear from you. Maybe some lazy summer day we could go out together and I could learn from you.

Thanks for reading my story!

Last edited:
Welcome! I'm not a Canadian historian, but you might look into Fur Trade sites as well as some French and Indian war battles. I don't know the extent of the limits of the conflict but it might be worth looking into. A tip that has been useful for me just starting out is to try to imagine areas of high transit or areas that you might want to stop and take a rest, or build a home. Where there were people, there are dropped items. I'm sure there is plenty of history in Calgary. I use garret detectors as well although mine is the discontinued 250. Good Hunting!

Welcome! I'm not a Canadian historian, but you might look into Fur Trade sites as well as some French and Indian war battles. I don't know the extent of the limits of the conflict but it might be worth looking into. A tip that has been useful for me just starting out is to try to imagine areas of high transit or areas that you might want to stop and take a rest, or build a home. Where there were people, there are dropped items. I'm sure there is plenty of history in Calgary. I use garret detectors as well although mine is the discontinued 250. Good Hunting!

Thank you sir! I'm sure I'll figure things out and find something to dig up.

tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum:Canada for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your country.

Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Welcome to the forum!:occasion14:

The Z-link headphones are very nice!:icon_thumleft:

Good Luck on your new adventure! :hello2:

Welcome from Wisconsin.
Great hobby for the grand kids to learn about!

Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi

Welcome to tnet from MI , Tommy

Welcome from NW Connecticut.
HH
dts

You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome aboard mate! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back