HELLO, I AM KING OF THE PARK. WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
borninok said:
Hey, Soar...I, too, feel your pain. I retired from the federal govt in Feb after 33 1/2 years of serious hard work and loyalty. Yet...I was booted from a county park SOCCER field that looked like Armegeddon had already been fought there. There were 2-3 inch holes all over the field. The Park Authority gave me the same type of derivative state law response. I tried to explain that I was MDng on a soccer field that looked like a war had been fought there...so why was I being told that I couldn't MD. Again, the state law derivative response.

Now..I hunt the beaches.

BTW, to Dunn1866, I hope you were jesting about telling them that you were a federal agent on a secret mission. Claiming to be a federal agent (which normally denotes the same as being a law enforcement officer), is a federal offense. Not wise advice, my friend.

--Mel

borninok

Yep just joking......Like most of us.

" Here in California I'm doing them and the community a favor.... for cleaning the sand box for the little ones.With stories on the news of finding razor Blades, nails and other cr-p. "

No-one has never ..ever approached me while detecting any park, that was legal.

Thanks for the heads up" DO NOT PRETEND YOU ARE A FEDERAL AGENT". I did make a Citizen arrest once.

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ultra GTA 350, Garrett Ace 250
I hope so too Stormtrooper. What bugs me about it all, is that with 30 city public parks here, only 1 (FT. Defiance) is listed on the city parks & rec website as specifically outlawing MD use (understanbaly-historic,etc).

Also, nothing at all in the city muni-code forbidding MD use. So, understanding how we are supposed to "follow all laws",etc... I never would have thought about the "STATE LAW" that they are quoting for "Vandalism" as pertaining to the hobby use of a MD.

To use an early 80's expression... "Who knew"?...LOL.

Yes, I believe it is a BS stance by the city as well to try and misuse that law like that.
But the only way I guess to have them change their tune, would be for them to one day have to prove the criminal intent on destruction of property, and like has been said before, that would be rather hard to do in a sand, woodchip, or pebble TOT lot.

So, life goes on....

midnightcaller

Apr 13, 2005
Snohomish Area
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab
[Also, nothing at all in the city muni-code forbidding MD use. So, understanding how we are supposed to "follow all laws",etc... I never would have thought about the "STATE LAW" that they are quoting for "Vandalism" as pertaining to the hobby use of a MD.

It sounds like you could go to court and fight it it sounds vauge a court challange?

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Maybe so midnightcaller, maybe so. I guess it will depend on if I run outa places to hunt without hunting at city parks,LOL. But, yes it a far stretch for them to quote a state of TN vandalism charge for MDing in sandy,woodchipped or pebbled TOT lots, yep.

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
soar697877 said:
We called the Clarksville, TN mayor's office today, and a lady there (not the mayor)
confirmed that there is NO MDing allowed in any of the public park areas in the city,
to include the sand/pebble/woodchip areas. She stated it was because if we MD guys
dug a hole, (even in the sand) and someone tripped due to that hole, it would open them up for liabilty....

We said thank you & hung up. Then we scratched our heads & wondered where all the
smart people of this world went?!

Tell me if I am wrong here guys, but wouldn't the other activities that people do also
open them up to liability??? Why wouldn't they just put up signs that say use parks at your own risk? DUH...

It still has to be on paper, wether a law, or ordence.....otherwise people would just make up the rules as they see fit.........HAS TO BE ON PAPER!!! Also has to be shown to you on request.

paul

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Paul,

Earlier in this thread, I posted the written STATE Law they were using here in my city to
be able to say "NO" to MDing in any public park,historic or not.

The state law they are quoting is for "Vandalism", although I really do not believe they would have a leg to stand on in court, especially if someone stuck to the wood chips/sand/pebble stone play areas, I do not know if I would want to be the one to deal with the BS, and let some judge decifer the law that the city is trying to use to say no.

Here is the earlier post of mine in reference to their "Law" :

Here is the actual weblink to the state law that my city uses to say no MDers allowed
at any of the public parks. Some of you have asked to see the law they are quoting.

http://www.state.tn.us/tccy/tnchild/39/39-14-408.htm

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
It would never stick.........the wording has to be specific. There is no "gray"
area when it comes to the law. If it were me, I would be screaming bloody murder & drawing as much attention as possible. Guess the kids are hardened criminals for digging in the sand box? Now this is just me, and I don't recomend this course of action for everyone.....I would keep on detecting, let them fine me, take my machine, arrest me, what ever......and then sue the hell out of them. What they are doing is plain old harassment!

Paul

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
I pointed out that exact same thing to the deputy director of our parks here, you can see his exact phrase he used in my thread above where I have his emails to me posted.

He says basically, that No kids are ok to dig, because we know & expect it.....

But we MD people cannot under any circumstances do the same thing in the same sandbox,etc...

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
soar697877 said:
Does his city code state that a metal detectorist "check in" with a park employee before
proceeding on his hobby? I bet not...Heck, we dont have "park employees stationed at the parks around here at all...so ya mean I would have to drive around looking for a park employee to advise him (not ask permission) I am at a certain park? I don't think so...

Do the other people conducting their hobby do the same thing? You know, the walkers, the sports guys/girls, etc....? Nope.

Sorry, unless it specifies in his city code to do otherwise, I don't feel I would "HAVE TO SEEK HIM OUT" to "advise" him of anything.
i'm from texas and i hunt shorelines for artifacts.sometimes i walk by houses that there property is on the beach.well they also think they can talk crap.well they dont own the water or tideline but some try and tell me go somewhere else.i do at my own pace right down the beach until i'm finished then i turn around and walk back.then back in a couple weeks for another stroll.life is to short to have people walk on you or tell you what you can and cannot do.i do what i enjoy so fukm.i even had guys tell me i dont need be comming around here.i just looked at them like there idiots and kept walking.i figured if i am in the wrong a game warden will find me becouse i'm not hiding.if i was at a park and some law enforcement wannbe told me what to do.i'd laugh or tell him to get fked.as long as he's not wearing a badge.lol.if they tried to put a hand on me.lets say my md would be a metal basher.stand up for your rights.nobody else will.these people need to find better things to do.

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Steve,

I am originally from TX myself...left there in Jan 1985 to go in the Army, now I am retired Army. So, I do know that TX is a place all its own, yup, LOL. I agree that it is piddly that some folks want to harass ud MD guys, just for the sake of it.

Thats why we need to get a few million members here and start taking the country by storm !!!!!!!!!! HaHa..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread