HELLO, I AM KING OF THE PARK. WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ultra GTA 350, Garrett Ace 250

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SC_hunter said:
eagle77 said:
On an humorous side note Jeff...I get a package at work, they put it on my desk and I don't recall requesting it. I made my supervisor open it, since he accepted it ;D. It wasn't anything that'd go BOOM, but he did get the idea not to be putting stuff on my desk. (I have everything organized and even a small boom would create such a problem in my organizational structure I wouldn't be able to find anything.) ;D
I don't have a desk..but you could put it in my car...heck...it would have to go boom for me to find it...On the subject though..I think I would go face to face with the guy...it is much harder for a person to explain nonsense while looking you in the eye. Just my opinion.

Yes I would take any Package & open it
if anyone else Dosn't want to.

Only Deal is I get to keep what's in it,
or get $20 bucks for my time :P

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Eagle77,

This guy that emailed me this morning a few times is my city's Deputy Parks & Rec Director;
you can also see where he sent a copy of each response to me to his boss, the actual city
park director, Charles Elliot.

> From: "Cowling, Kevin" <[email protected]>
> Date: 2007/08/01 Wed AM 11:53:59 EST
> To: "Steve" <[email protected]>
> CC: "Elliott, Charles" <[email protected]>
> Subject: RE: RE: Question about a hobby

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Hey SWR how about this:

Quote from Park Deputy Director-

"I do not doubt that you hold the highest standards in regard to your
hobby, but we have had problems in the past of people digging and not
repairing their holes throughout our parks. The result being the
department not allowing this to continue.
I again would like to thank
you for taking the time to contact us and apologize for the delay in
returning your email."

Quote from SWR
"The obvious is being overlooked. No big surprise. "

What if the Dept of Motor vehicles in every state in the USA started telling everyone
upon re-newal of their driving license this:

We do not doubt that you hold the highest standards in regard to your
driving, but we have had problems in the past of people driving badly and not
repairing or paying for their damages caused by DUI's throughout our streets.
The result being the department not allowing this to continue, and therefore your
renewal is denied to operate a motor vehicle....

Well, how far is that away guys???!!! Get my point?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever happend to Never Blame
a whole group of people for the
actions of a Few ?

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
No, of course not SWR...DUI is not legal here, BUT...
just because there are many many bad drivers out there (DUI, Neg drivers, etc.etc.),
doesn't make it illegal for everyone else to drive now does it?....

Thank you Jeff, my point exactly,,,,well one of them LOL.

How can this guy say it is ok for others to dig in the park, to include SOD, sand, wood chips, etc. but not ok for MD'ing even in the SAND at the TOT lots? He states it would be criminal, and we would be vandalizing per state of TN Law he quoted.

So, if I am standing in a sand pit for the kids, and they are digging all over that pit,,,
(which is ok according to the park dept), and I sweep my detector, he says I am guilty of vandalism. What an idiot.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
jeff of pa said:
actions of a Few ?

I think Guilt by Association supersedes that fantasyland motto ;)

I think I'll have to Remember that,

Because I know a Crooked Politician,
a Crooked Cop, A child Molesting Priest,
Etc, Etc. Guilt by Association Humm!

Guess they should all be Locked up Huh?

My Apologies to our Policemen Friends out here.
Just making the point of what fantasyland Realy is.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
jeff of pa said:

Goodness, you know an awful lot of bad people!

Just turn the news on fo 10 Minutes,
you will Too :P

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
SWR said:
jeff of pa said:
actions of a Few ?

I think Guilt by Association supersedes that fantasyland motto ;)

Dang Jeff, we must know each other...'cause I know all those folks too...LOL

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR, are you always so loathsome?
On a lighter note,Steve do you have any kids? Any nieces or nephews,perhaps a neighbor with kids? Just take 'em with you when detecting the parks and your problem is solved. ;D

Seriously though, since it is posted at one park that is historically significant and not posted at the others,I wouldn't worry about it too much. Since you've already opened a can of worms, go down to the police station as pose a hypothetical at them. You know,if you saw a guy metal detecting in a city park would you mess with him? After all, they are the ones you really have to worry about.

On a related issue- I have gotten several positive responses from the Chamber of Commerce in out of state/town cities when asking about detecting city parks. One of those towns was Cookeville,Tn. Here is the post where I mentioned it-http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,3137.0.html scroll down to reply number 17.

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
I will let ya'll know if I decide to file an official complaint and possible suit against the park dept for deprivation of my civil liberties. That guy is such a hypocrite !

My only point was to show how ignorant he was to say it is ok for some people to dig in the sand/pebble/wood chip areas (kids?) and not others such as myself MD'ing.

MD'ing clearly does not harm sand/pebbles/wood chips, correct? I would have been fine if he simply said hey not in the grass/SOD, but nooooooooo... he had to push it into that
stupid statement. I hate stupid,ignorant people.

And to threaten me as well if I detected in the sand in the city public parks with a state law about "Vandalism", omg...what an imbicile !

Where does the madness stop?!!!!! No one knows !!!!!!!!

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
diggummup, maybe your right, I should let my twin 14 yr old boys go to the park
TOT lot areas & "dig". But...then again he did state "NO METAL DETECTING" in ANY city public park, presumably under ANY circumstances, so I guess that statement would subject my kids to the same law, huh, regardless because he didn't say its ok for kids to detect, or a certain age,etc...

I am sick of people that cannot say what they mean & mean what they say.

I think I will move, the wife wants to eventually go to WA state again anyways....
but that would be running away, and I am not accustomed to running from any fight.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Hey, Soar...I, too, feel your pain. I retired from the federal govt in Feb after 33 1/2 years of serious hard work and loyalty. Yet...I was booted from a county park SOCCER field that looked like Armegeddon had already been fought there. There were 2-3 inch holes all over the field. The Park Authority gave me the same type of derivative state law response. I tried to explain that I was MDng on a soccer field that looked like a war had been fought there...so why was I being told that I couldn't MD. Again, the state law derivative response.

Now..I hunt the beaches.

BTW, to Dunn1866, I hope you were jesting about telling them that you were a federal agent on a secret mission. Claiming to be a federal agent (which normally denotes the same as being a law enforcement officer), is a federal offense. Not wise advice, my friend.

--Mel

borninok

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Has anyone asked to see this law on paper? In order for something to be illegal, there actually has to be a law against it. And yes, you can request to see it. As for the threat of being arrested, I don't know about other states, but here if you request the officers supervisor to be present, they can go no further until the supervisor arrives.

Paul

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Gentlemen,

This is why there is "power in numbers". We live in a democratic society, do we not?
Thats why I am grateful for this and other forums for our chosen Hobby-MD'ing.

If the only places in America to MD end up being your front & back yards that you own, I really believe that would put a little crimp in our hobby & all the MD manufacturer's....

Don't you? No more hunting ANY city or County Public Parks, no more ocean beach or lake beach's, none, zip, zero. No more treasure vessells searching coastal waters either in American waters....

What would everyone do then? How would that make ya'll feel?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
diggummup said:

Are you a blithering buffoon?

Fifty questions. This is fun :)
Only when it comes to you my friend,oh and that one other guy,and then there's ................. ;) :)

Paul in Wa said:
Has anyone asked to see this law on paper? In order for something to be illegal, there actually has to be a law against it. And yes, you can request to see it. As for the threat of being arrested, I don't know about other states, but here if you request the officers supervisor to be present, they can go no further until the supervisor arrives.

Paul
Agreed.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
diggummup said:
SWR said:
diggummup said:

Are you a blithering buffoon?

Fifty questions. This is fun :)
Only when it comes to you my friend,oh and that one other guy,and then there's ................. ;) :)

You need to practice what you preach:

"This is America so I guess he is entitled to his opinion,just as i'm entitled to mine."

Debate the issue and not the poster.
Okay dad (as the pot calls the kettle black):

"I think guilt by association supersedes that fantasyland motto."

Ditto!

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
I have encountered problems with park employees in regards to just about any use of the park. Use of the park means increased maintenance/work for them. I have even seen a park employees tell children they cant use the baseball fields unless it is part of an organized team because of insurance and liability reasons. And we wonder why these poor kids spend so much time in front of video games.

I was run out of a park for hitting plastic limited flight golf balls. I called the county's parks and recreations office and the person I spoke to was in disbelief and actually sounded disappointed that I could not give the employees name that had done this and was told go ahead and use the park for this purpose whenever I wanted.

What I have done now is store the the county's parks and recreation number in my cell phone. When a park employee questions or attempts to limit my activities in the park or pulls the 911 card I simply say "you go ahead and call 911 and while you are doing that I will call your boss and we can get this sorted out". It rarely goes past dialing the first few numbers.

Many of these park employees will try to limit the use of the park in general which means limiting there work load. Sad but true. Politely standing up to this IMO is the best course of action

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread