Hello! Newbie from FL

thedaddy

Aug 1, 2009
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab ExcalII 1000, Bounty Hunter 505 8/4
Hello all,
I'm in St. Cloud, South of Orlando. I'm new to MD'ing but love to treasure hunt. I have been diving Venice FL for years finding shark teeth and fossils and have always watched the MD/TH guys wishing I had a decent detector (bought a cheap Chinese model for $60 that didn't work well and broke down quickly). Well, this year is our 20th anniversary and I've saved up some money and as my anniversary present my wife told me to pick out the detector that I want. She thinks I've got early dementia, but I've never really cared if people think I'm nuts - I've always gotten weird looks coming out of the surf with a bag of 'rocks' but the Scouts and my kids' science teachers appreciate the fossils.

I'm still deciding and always looking for advice, but I have some ideas. I'm really looking forward to it and have been reading the forums for a long time to learn and get tips. We spend a lot of time at the beach and I'm excited to finally be able to do some hunting rather than just watching.

Thanks for all the info so far!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to have you aboard :hello:

Looking forward to seeing your finds.
Good luck and Happy Hunting,

GG~

OP
OP
thedaddy

thedaddy

Aug 1, 2009
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Thanks! I'm really excited. Lots to learn though.
I didn't see a 'newbie forum' is this forum (General Discussion) the best to post questions to? I see a lot of them here.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
as far as choosing a MD, check out one of your local MD clubs and talk to them and see what they use for machines

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going to be in the water, and if your going to do any diving, I highly recommend the Minelab Excalibur 1000.

I have 2 hunting partners who live in St Cloud now, we get together on ocassion at local beaches and also make road trips together to other beaches farther away.

Shoot an IM if your interested and maybe we can work out a trip together.......

Welcome to TN, and the addition................

OP
OP
thedaddy

thedaddy

Aug 1, 2009
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Thanks to all of you for help and advice. I just got my first detector Friday 7 Aug from KellyCo (they were very friendly and helpful BTW, especially Leilani and Raul who spent about 45 minutes showing me the ropes).

I got a MineLab Excal II, and did the BOGO with a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505! A big thanks to my better half on that one. What a nice anniversary present.

I got the chance to take it out today to a local lake beach and found the following:
1 dime (clad)
1 quarter
1 zinc penny
2 pulltabs
1 bottlecap
1 shredded soda can
1 fine necklace chain (pretty sure it's gold) 3.7 grams

I almost paid for the gasoline it took to drive the three miles to the lake!

I had a great time though - boy do I have a lot to learn about tones and discrimination.
The best part was 3 kids about 4-5 years old started shadowing me asking all kinds of questions. I let them each try the detector out on my watch in the sand. They followed me step-for-step for about three laps over the volleyball court, a half step at a time. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure they were convinced they were going to be in on the unearthing of a honest to goodness treasure chest any minute. The shredded can and the bottle cap were in a wading area used by the little ones, so that was good also.
All in all, A Good Day.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thedaddy said:
Thanks to all of you for help and advice. I just got my first detector Friday 7 Aug from KellyCo (they were very friendly and helpful BTW, especially Leilani and Raul who spent about 45 minutes showing me the ropes).

I got a MineLab Excal II, and did the BOGO with a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505! A big thanks to my better half on that one. What a nice anniversary present.

I got the chance to take it out today to a local lake beach and found the following:
1 dime (clad)
1 quarter
1 zinc penny
2 pulltabs
1 bottlecap
1 shredded soda can
1 fine necklace chain (pretty sure it's gold) 3.7 grams

I almost paid for the gasoline it took to drive the three miles to the lake!

I had a great time though - boy do I have a lot to learn about tones and discrimination.
The best part was 3 kids about 4-5 years old started shadowing me asking all kinds of questions. I let them each try the detector out on my watch in the sand. They followed me step-for-step for about three laps over the volleyball court, a half step at a time. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure they were convinced they were going to be in on the unearthing of a honest to goodness treasure chest any minute. The shredded can and the bottle cap were in a wading area used by the little ones, so that was good also.
All in all, A Good Day.

Only 2 pulltabs, :dontknow: come on you can do better then that. You should have had at least a dozen tabs........;D LOL

Congrats on the new excal...If you need anything just give me a call................

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
you just started the bug in another generation of MD'ers, congrats on the Excal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread