Hello, newbie here...

Apr 22, 2021
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My name is Samantha, and I have had an interest in metal detecting and magnet fishing since I was a kid. My interest was first piqued when I watched a guy doing this on the beach in Ocean City, MD. I was beyond curious. I had so many questions, the whole process of the hunt had me hook, line, and sinker. Thank God the guy was patient :laughing7: But the legality of metal detecting and magnet fishing has me looking for a one stop resource where I can go to look up the bi-laws state by state with regard to their statutes on metal detecting and/or magnet fishing. For example, some states, like FL, want a huge piece of that chump change from the loot while others may not care (but show me a state that doesn't want any money, and I will move there). Anyway, thank you for taking the time to answer this question.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Aboard and greetings from NY

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to Tnet . . . . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. :hello:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome from NW Connecticut!
dts

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Howdy and Welcome Samantha from San Antonio :wave:

At times it also depends on where you MD or Magnet fish in a state because the laws can differ by county or municipality, whether on public or private land and Never on Federal land. In most places of course they are not prohibited. The #1 rule is to always seek permission to do so on private land or property. Most states would only ask for you to turn in artifacts of historical significance.

Hope these links help:icon_thumright::

Magnet Fishing by state
Metal detecting by state

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Texas for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

rstcso

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2021
Round Rock, TX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Samantha. I'm only a few miles up the road from you. With traffic, that's about an hour and a half drive.

I highly doubt you'll find any singular source of information.

Private property means you must have the property owner's permission. This could be a hand-shake (or elbow bump, in today's world), but you may want to get it in writing, as many do. All kinds of information can be found on getting permissions, with opinions rampant.

Most local municipal parks in our area are open to metal detecting. Personally, I've had good luck calling and asking to speak to a park ranger and just asking the rules. They're the ones you might be encountering at a park anyway, so go to the horses mouth... and politely get their name and jot it down.

For state parks, check their websites and/or ask a park ranger. Some parks/recreation areas we think of as a "state park" are under the control of the Army Corps of Engineers. Whole different set of rules.

Good luck and happy hunting!

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-):cat::occasion14::headbang:

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from south Florida hunting public beaches you get to keep the jewelry

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from MI .....Tommy

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet and GOOD LUCK !!!

OH..POPS

Dec 18, 2021
Medway Ohio
Detector(s) used
Pops old one
Garrett Ace 400
Bounty Hunter
Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy from Middle TN/ Good luck finding your source that your looking for. Most parks and waterways in TN are all governed mostly by US Corp of Engineers or TVA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread