What's new

Help!! Can't read pdf links

Nitric

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2014
Messages
4,856
Reaction score
6,253
Golden Thread
0
Location
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I only half know how to work my computer! And today i'm ready to work on it with a hammer!:laughing7:

I'm still running vista..No problems other than Adobe reader no longer works with Vista for some reason. I tried Foxit? I can't get it to open and run after download...

Anyone still running Vista? And what are you using for a Pdf reader...there are so many links that I can't see, even when searching the web....

My wording might be all wrong above, but I think someone reading might understand!!:laughing7:

I'm ready to switch over to Linux here in a min...At least I can somewhat fumble my way around and get it to work...:laughing7:
 
Adobe should still be working with vista, it still works with XP ... however, Vi$ta is a nightmare - PERIOD!

Since I work on computers, I had a Vi$ta machine for about 4 years in my shop. Worst piece of garbage I ever used.

Thinking about going to Linux? If you just want something that works but resemble windows, I would suggest Ubuntu. Very smooth, but I do web design and graphics work. The software I use doesn't get along well in a Linux OS.

Hope this helps.

BTW, Ubuntu is free at DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD..
 
Thank you!! I liked XP better...I guess adobe isn't supported for vista anymore....I'm not sure, I just know enough to fudge my way through most of the time..

I'll check Ubuntu...

I have another OS on here...My drive is split. But it's Backtrack 5, I can work it enough to get around, but it has stuff in it I don't even know how to work anymore..I never really learned, just played..:laughing7:
 
r...I guess adobe isn't supported for vista anymore....

Nah, ask any gamer --- Vi$ta was a Billy Gates moneygrab with a crappy OS that was way oversold.

7 wasn't ready, but they needed the cash --- Voila! Vi$ta was born.
 
Nah, ask any gamer --- Vi$ta was a Billy Gates moneygrab with a crappy OS that was way oversold.

7 wasn't ready, but they needed the cash --- Voila! Vi$ta was born.

I can't even play any games on this! Heck it overheats and shuts down from a youtube vid!:laughing7: Well, ok my fan is prob clogged and my battery is beyond dead...But still!:laughing7:
 
You can google "adobe for Vista" and find a bunch of free downloads. Try that ( if you have room on your drive)
 
Thanks guys!!

I had another program" kicking it to save" I guess....I turned it off and now I can read them in Firefox...Actually? I have no clue what I did!:laughing7: But I can at least read them now..:laughing7:

All I know is I was ready to get a hammer and just call it a day!:laughing7: Everything else fixes with a good hammer and some persuasion?

All I wanted to do was look at a link!! It took me hours to open it!!:BangHead:
 
Last edited:
Overheating? Turn the computer off. Get a can of compressed air at the store (Wal Mart or Costco should have it in the electronics department) --- no, don't drag out the compressor that will actually damage the unit.

Take off the cover, and look for the fan facing towards the side you took off. You can usually blow the trash out of there with canned air (unless you're a smoker or use your computer near the kitchen when frying food).

If it's a laptop, it's usually best to spray the air into the place you feel the hot air coming out. This will blow out much of the dust that has accumulated and let the heatsink be a bit more efficient at reducing the temperature of your processor.
 
Use this.

Mini Attachments for all Vacuums | eVacuumStore.com

My AMD's I have upgraded the fan/heat sink and applied new thermal paste,:icon_thumright:
Download and run speedfan. You might be able to control fan speeds....depending.
At least you can observe the various temps.
DO NOT download any crap that is "included" with speedfan. (spam, BS crap...)
 
Last edited:
Overheating? Turn the computer off. Get a can of compressed air at the store (Wal Mart or Costco should have it in the electronics department) --- no, don't drag out the compressor that will actually damage the unit.

Take off the cover, and look for the fan facing towards the side you took off. You can usually blow the trash out of there with canned air (unless you're a smoker or use your computer near the kitchen when frying food).

If it's a laptop, it's usually best to spray the air into the place you feel the hot air coming out. This will blow out much of the dust that has accumulated and let the heatsink be a bit more efficient at reducing the temperature of your processor.

Thanks!! I'll have to do that...This thing has been patched together for years.....It's a lap top..The trace use to burn out where you plug it in...I soldered it twice then jumped the trace with a wire....The screen went blank years ago....I thought it was done..I took the thing completely apart, then when I put it together? The Back light worked again!:laughing7: It's about done...I just keep patching it...Or...it just keeps working...

But yes, I use to smoke around it a lot....I don't smoke in the house anymore. But this thing has seen it's share of shop dust, smoke, pet fur, etc... I'm sure that fan is packed solid by now...:laughing7:

Back when her and I smoked real heavy, we went through dvd players like crazy!! She quit, and I smoke about a quarter of what I use to outside now....That will destroy everything in a house, and vehicle...Never again!! Even though I smoke I can't stand the smell of it in a house or my vehicles now...And we were chain smokers pretty much! Especially when we drank...Cut that back too...just very rarely now...
 
Last edited:
Use this.

Mini Attachments for all Vacuums | eVacuumStore.com

My AMD's I have upgraded the fan/heat sink and applied new thermal paste,:icon_thumright:

That's what I should do! I cant hurt it...I still have some heat paste left over from the xbox 360 ring of death...or whatever it was..:laughing7:

Hey! And yes!! I have used the sweeper hose to cool it down to back online faster!:laughing7::laughing7: It gets that thermal switch breaker thingy, whatever it's real name is.....Too cool down faster!!! It might be wore out too!
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom