Help Date Silver Pocket Watch

TheHbeast

Jun 21, 2016
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this pocket watch pretty deep, i think its plated in silver or nickel. the back opens but I cant find any writing or numbers or anything. I bet if I could get the glass off I could see something inside, but dont want to break it. Anyone know of a way to find date or manufacturer? Thanks! IMG_3404.jpg IMG_3405.jpg IMG_3401.jpg

nkellam22

Feb 9, 2019
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver plating was invented in 1840 so it can't be any earlier than that but I would say your's dates to around 1910-1960 if I had to guess.

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks to be nickel plated. What is the case made of? Are the gears brass or iron? Looks like a Dollar Watch?

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like finding pocket watches I would guess 1920 or later

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheHbeast

TheHbeast

Jun 21, 2016
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The gears are brass I think. Tt's really hard to tell what the case itself is made of, you can see some of it show where the plating has been worn off, My guess is nickel or some kind of alloy. The strange thing is there are no marks anywhere, and today, the "glass" cover popped off and turned out to be made of hard plastic :(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheHbeast

TheHbeast

Jun 21, 2016
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks to be nickel plated. What is the case made of? Are the gears brass or iron? Looks like a Dollar Watch?

The gears are brass I think. Tt's really hard to tell what the case itself is made of, you can see some of it show where the plating has been worn off, My guess is nickel or some kind of alloy. The strange thing is there are no marks anywhere, and today, the "glass" cover popped off and turned out to be made of hard plastic

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There were thousands of watches of this type made by several companies. Some had no name. Ingersol was the one that gave them the name with the phrase "The watch that made the dollar famous" With the plastic crystal I will change my guess to the 50's ?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread