6A6CF5F5-3D22-4693-978F-91D09F9C42DD.jpeg
    938.7 KB · Views: 62

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea, but it looks like "S. Hume" to me.

I can't help thinking it has been copied in impressionist style from a renaissance "holy family" painting and that I've seen the composition before. Raphael, or one of his contemporaries?

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No idea, but it looks like "S. Hume" to me.

I can't help thinking it has been copied in impressionist style from a renaissance "holy family" painting and that I've seen the composition before. Raphael, or one of his contemporaries?

So like maybe also Leonardo, Michelangelo, or Donatello? Unless maybe I'm off base and you weren't referring to the Ninja Turtles.

I agree that the name appears to be S. Hume.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So like maybe also Leonardo, Michelangelo, or Donatello? Unless maybe I'm off base and you weren't referring to the Ninja Turtles.

I agree that the name appears to be S. Hume.

Yes, although I couldn't place it to any of the more famous artists. I knew I had seen the composition before though... it's based on a 1648 painting called "The Holy Family on the Steps" by Nicolas Poussin, currently in the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC:

Pouissin.jpg

It used to be in the Cleveland Museum of Art in Ohio, who described it thus:

This deceptively simple composition represents a complex meditation on the Holy Family’s role in the redemption of humanity. At the center, Mary presents the Christ Child to the world. At the left, Saint Elizabeth leans forward to foretell his eventual death, while her son, Saint John the Baptist, offers Jesus an apple, signifying humanity’s fall from grace in the Garden of Eden. At the right, Saint Joseph holds a compass, a sign of his occupation as a carpenter and also symbolic of God the Father. Poussin developed his composition meticulously and deliberately, using clear primary colors, simple forms, and a geometric organization to express the central importance of the Holy Family in Christian belief.

That doesn't bring us any closer to who S. Hume might be though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correction/addition: The painting in Washington is another version of the same scene by the same artist as the one in Cleveland. The Cleveland Museum of Art seem to have acquired theirs in 1981 and it featured in a special exhibition from 14 November 1999 - 23 January 2000. Given that James found his interpretation of the work in Ohio, I would bet it dates from somewhere around those times.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• S Hume 1.jpg
    S Hume 1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 26
  • S Hume 2.jpg
    S Hume 2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be possible to find the "S. Hume" who painted this but, to me, it looks like an amateur experimenting with a technique. Having 'gone-a-bit-impressionist', it completely misses the point of the original work and the symbolism hidden in its details.

Upvote 0

Garypederson

Aug 4, 2020
Payson, Az, Avila beach, Ca, Naples, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug & Whites Spectra 3vi & Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anyone help find any information on this artist
It was found in Ohio if that helps
And has a nailed canvas not staples so probably has some age

I looked in British artists 1880-1940. There are 6 Hume artists, but they are Edith, J. Henry, Miss K.M., Robert, Thomas, Lady Hume-Williams. Their painting genres are comparable to this scene, but that first initial of S. ( if S.) negates these. Gary

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked in British artists 1880-1940. There are 6 Hume artists, but they are Edith, J. Henry, Miss K.M., Robert, Thomas, Lady Hume-Williams. Their painting genres are comparable to this scene, but that first initial of S. ( if S.) negates these. Gary

I see no resemblance between the style of this painting and the artists you mention, nor the subjects for which they are generally known. There are two paintings by Poussin from which it could have been loosely copied but, as far as I can tell, neither of them were on public display, nor had any real prominence in reproduced form before 1952 since they were in private collections. The one now on display in Washington was acquired in 1952 and the one in Cleveland was acquired in 1981.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread