What's new

help I.D. jaw section missing teeth

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not real sure about this one.
I thought small peckary when I first picked it up but having second thoughts based on the tooth sockets.
Other fossils in the area were deer,horse,and Mastodon .
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130601_180435.webp
    ForumRunner_20130601_180435.webp
    52.7 KB · Views: 138
  • ForumRunner_20130601_180601.webp
    ForumRunner_20130601_180601.webp
    50.8 KB · Views: 123
  • ForumRunner_20130601_180754.webp
    ForumRunner_20130601_180754.webp
    44.8 KB · Views: 123
Possibly dolphin jaw section. Not enough to be certain for me.
 
Well they don't look like double root holes so if it a section of back jaw that eliminates most mammals. I'm going take a shot and say alligator
 
Good guess.. my dolphin teeth look like they would fit right in.
Never found anything but land mammals in this spot though... but Florida has been under water several times.
Found this horse tooth there yesterday

ForumRunner_20130601_185837.webp
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130601_185518.webp
    ForumRunner_20130601_185518.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 117
Wow both good .. Hmm.. I have found alligator scutes there.
Here is a dolphin tooth with it for a comparison.

ForumRunner_20130601_190534.webp



ForumRunner_20130601_190907.webp

I think we have a candidate
 
Here is another example (the other two I think are seal and porpoise)

image-1308314442.webp
 
Thank you
 
Nice tooth Gatorboy. The ones I've found have been very beat up and chipped.
 
Thanks.. yeah.. most are.
 
Very nice, gator! If you ask me, I would say that is a gator jaw. Those holes and bumps on the side are a dead giveaway, as well as the uniform tooth sockets. It is a little worn, so it could defiantly be a dolphin jaw as well, although dolphin jaws are usually not that round. :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
I was noticing that on examples online.. Gator is more probable based on the scutes I've found there also.
It was a little Gator I'm thinking now.
Thanks for chipping in on this for me.
 
Last edited:
I hope someone answers that phone.....
 
LOL.
Of course.
 
Cause I called it!
 
After seeing pics of gator jaw, I think you have a match! I would have to say gator. Fun post!
 
Yeah man
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom