Sep 12, 2023
Went detecting today in a late 1800's park where the city had recently tore out an old tennis court. Have found several relics, 4 indian head pennies, 10 wheat pennies, a merc dime, and this ring. There is a maker mark inside and what appears to be a sapphire stone. Any help identifying if it is real or a costume piece would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 393968E3-D661-4078-B702-DB09B3977FAD.jpeg
    393968E3-D661-4078-B702-DB09B3977FAD.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 188
  • E002B873-6F79-4DA6-8785-DBC7CE65D8B0.jpeg
    E002B873-6F79-4DA6-8785-DBC7CE65D8B0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 166
  • 6B1185CC-2331-4320-85F5-95E4EC6E65AC.jpeg
    6B1185CC-2331-4320-85F5-95E4EC6E65AC.jpeg
    627.1 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 17

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the Indian shiny as it appears?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
a tribe, silver AND gold. NICE! Thanks for the post.

OP
OP
C
Sep 12, 2023
Went detecting today in a late 1800's park where the city had recently tore out an old tennis court. Have found several relics, 4 indian head pennies, 10 wheat pennies, a merc dime, and this ring. There is a maker mark inside and what appears to be a sapphire stone. Any help identifying if it is real or a costume piece would be greatly appreciated!
Went to the jewelry shop, confirmed 10K gold! First gold ring I've found. Now to figure out the stone, as that's where the real money might be with this ring.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The stone appears to be amethyst although it could also be synthetic. Definitely not sapphire. A sapphire that size and quality would never be used in that style setting and certainly not in 10K. No maker or private jeweler would put a multi-thousand dollar stone in an otherwise inexpensive mass produced ring. It would be set in a much higher-end custom made piece, designed for that specific stone.

As an amethyst, the gold is worth more than the stone.

Very nice find. Congratulations.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking ring I would get it repaired.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
C
Sep 12, 2023
The stone appears to be amethyst although it could also be synthetic. Definitely not sapphire. A sapphire that size and quality would never be used in that style setting and certainly not in 10K. No maker or private jeweler would put a multi-thousand dollar stone in an otherwise inexpensive mass produced ring. It would be set in a much higher-end custom made piece, designed for that specific stone.

As an amethyst, the gold is worth more than the stone.

Very nice find. Congratulations.
Thank you! I'm not too familiar with gemstones, but if I'm correct shouldn't an amethyst be purple in color? My stone is a light blue. The pictures I attached aren't the greatest.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you! I'm not too familiar with gemstones, but if I'm correct shouldn't an amethyst be purple in color? My stone is a light blue. The pictures I attached aren't the greatest.
Maybe another photo showing the color of the stone.
Aquamarine is light blue.
But yours looks darker, though it could be the lighting.
Seen the style before, well found, congrats.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In your photos the stone appears to be purple. If it's blue, it's not amethyst but still not sapphire.

Depending on the exact color blue, it could be a few other semi-precious stones, or synthetic. You would need to have it tested to determine what it is with certainty.

Heat-transfer testing will give an idea but is rarely conclusive if that's the only test used. A refractometer would be more conclusive. And even a reflectometer will be inconclusive if the stone is cut too shallow or too deep. But your stone appears to be a standard commercial cut, so the depth is likely what it should be, as opposed to stones cut to save as much weight as possible--more evidence that the stone is not sapphire.

A certified gemologist, which some jewelers are but not all, will likely be able to tell you just by looking at it.

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
When I come across stones of uncertainty I take mine to Kay Jewelers. They always have a Certified gemologist. I can tell you that alot of jewelry from the victorian era tends to have glass instead of actual gems even in a gold or silver setting. There's also a place in California called fox jewelry or something of that nature and they specialize in repairs that you couldn't imagine. Pretty reasonably priced as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread