✅ SOLVED Help Identify silversmith mark

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi and thank you in advance for any help. I am trying to find out who was the silversmith of a fork I have. I’ve looked and cannot find any Information. It’s stamped S.W. Martan. Sterling with a lion.
IMG_5291.jpeg
IMG_5290.jpeg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m not surprised you couldn’t find ‘S.W. Martan’. That will likely be a retail jeweller who had flatware made for him, and could have been a small operation with limited premises.

The actual maker was the Whiting Manufacturing Company, originally of Attleboro, Massachusetts but operating out of 692-694 Broadway at Fourth Street, New York at the time your fork was made. The company operated under that name from 1866 until 1924 when they were purchased by Gorham and then absorbed two years later. Their trademark was a lion supporting a shield with the letter ‘W’ on it (which you can just about see from enlargement of your picture):

Whiting.jpg

The patent date looks to be 1909 and, as far as I know, Whiting held only three design patents granted that year. If you could show the upper side of the handle in full I could probably tell you which pattern it is.

Upvote 5

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I don't know where you found this and if the location will make sense with it being connected to this man, but there was a jeweler in Winona, Minnesota "S.W. Morgan" (Stephen Whitfield Morgan) who opened a business in 1862. Morgan Jewelers still operates today.

Attachments

• swmorgan.jpg
    swmorgan.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 2

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know where you found this and if the location will make sense with it being connected to this man, but there was a jeweler in Winona, Minnesota "S.W. Morgan" (Stephen Whitfield Morgan) who opened a business in 1862. Morgan Jewelers still operates today.

I believe you're right. With a bit of enlargement and enhancement it does seem to be 'Morgan', not 'Martan'.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your help. I truly appreciate it. It is S.W. Morgan. I will mark this solved. I have one more item that I have been searching on who made the piece. I’ll be posting for help. Again thank you all.

Attachments

• IMG_5311.jpeg
    IMG_5311.jpeg
    784.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5312.jpeg
    IMG_5312.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your help. I truly appreciate it. It is S.W. Morgan. I will mark this solved. I have one more item that I have been searching on who made the piece. I’ll be posting for help. Again thank you all.

The pattern shown in your post #8 was introduced as 'Madam Jumel' in 1908, but not patented until 1909. The pattern was used by both Whiting and by Gorham. US Design patents usually expired after 14 years so, with the 1909 date, it just falls within the period prior to Whiting being acquired by Gorham.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread