What's new

Help Identifying Military Items

Dirty Knees McGee

Full Member
Joined
May 5, 2005
Messages
159
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Sunny Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 w/ 6.5x9, 9x12, & EXcelerator 10x14 DD coils
Hey All,

In going through some old stuff, I came across these two military items. The one on the left has two musket rifles and 12 E on it. Looks to be for a hat, but I have no idea of age or if it is American or British.

The item on the right looks to belong to some belt or sash. Definitely American, but again I have no idea of age or actual use since it has the hole at the bottom. It must have served some specific purpose. I did not see any makers marks on either, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

dsc01931u.jpg

dsc01934o.jpg
 
The crossed rifles insignia is U.S. Army, Infantry, 12th Regiment, Company E, early 1900's.
(I'm not positive, but I believe this may be the variety authorized by General Orders Number 52, 3 March, 1902.)
 
Upvote 0
PBK said:
The crossed rifles insignia is U.S. Army, Infantry, 12th Regiment, Company E, early 1900's.
(I'm not positive, but I believe this may be the variety authorized by General Orders Number 52, 3 March, 1902.)

Thanks PBK, I wasn't sure if it was even U.S. Army or not because my original google searches turned up a British regiment.. After reading your post furthering an on-line search, I came across two sites that had similar insignia. One had different companies' insignias and dated them as 1897. Another had the dame one, but simply stated it to be from the Indian Wars period. Pretty cool

Now if I could just find out how old the belt sash thingy is. While I did find something that was similar to it that was masonic, I did not see one with the eagle. Isn't that typically U.S. Military and not masonic? Thanks again for everyone's input.
 
Upvote 0
Masonic would most commonly have the compases and square insignia or some other masonic icon. This item has more of a military look to it to me. Monty
 
Upvote 0
I'm with Montcrief on this one. Has a definite patriotic look to it and nothing to indicate freemasonry.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help Identifying Military Items (1/2 Solved)

New to the forums and MD, but couldn't help myself to give my opinion. I believe that is a ceremonial buckle used on the harness straps of a horse, for honor guard type duties around the Spanish-American War. Would have been one on each side of the horse, cinched through the lower holes to keep them flush.

Sorry...I can only quote my memory as a source right now...and if my memory fails me this time, its not the first. Nice finds!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help Identifying Military Items (1/2 Solved)

the one on the left sows the regeiment and cless
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help Identifying Military Items (1/2 Solved)

Armymusician said:
New to the forums and MD, but couldn't help myself to give my opinion. I believe that is a ceremonial buckle used on the harness straps of a horse, for honor guard type duties around the Spanish-American War. Would have been one on each side of the horse, cinched through the lower holes to keep them flush.

Sorry...I can only quote my memory as a source right now...and if my memory fails me this time, its not the first. Nice finds!

That sounds like a good answer to me! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom