Help in IDing Shells

FrankTM

Sep 4, 2006
Illinois (Dekalb County)
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350
I need help in identifying two casings I found. One is a shotgun and one is a rifle.

What I think I know

Shotgun - Winchester No 12 New Rival
Appears to be red in color. Since it says No 12 I believe it is 1920 or earlier.

Rifle - WRA Co 32-40 - no ideas

Thanks
Frank

Attachments

• shell 2.jpg
    shell 2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 273

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
Winchester Repeating Arms Co. The 32-40 cartridge was introduced in 1884,and adopted by Winchester and Marlin in 1886. It had a reputation for fine accuracy,and was first used for target shooting.It was a popular hunting cartridge for the Winchester lever action and single shot rifles.Some reproduction and commemorative rifles have been made for this cartridge in recent years,but otherwise it is obsolete.I found one of those 32-40's once in a remote part of Idaho,and was thrilled! Only one I've found so maybe they are kinda rare.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FrankTM

FrankTM

Sep 4, 2006
Illinois (Dekalb County)
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350
Thanks for the info. I found it in a CW site that has been pretty well cleaned out. I was just trying to narrow the date down since I knew it wasn't CW.

Frank

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The .32-40 was an old black powder cartridge designating .32 caliber charged with 40 grains of black powder. A very common designation up until the first truly designed smokeless powder cartridge, the .30-30 Winchester. Let me clarify that in saying the first American made smokeless cartridge. I think the Brits had some cordite propelled ammo before that....long sticks of semi-smokeless propellent. (I'm going from memory here and I am an old fart)! I'm also pretty sure they loaded the .32-40 with both smokeless and black powder up through the early 1920s because many of the old black powder only rifles were still around.The term .32 Winchester Special sticks in my mind as the smokeless powder designation, but I may be wrong, the OFS thing again ( Old Fart Syndrome). I have some old reference manuals stashed away but too lazy to dig them out. Anyway, the Shotgun shell indicates it was made by Winchester and was in 12 guage. I have a small shotgun shell collection but don't have a Rival designated one. Someone once posted a link to a reference manual or book regarding identification of shotgun shells, but due to OFS I can't remember who or when? Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread