Help me find out what this is and what it is worth?

Maggot

Jun 3, 2005
Washington state
Picked this up at a local garage sale, I bought it because it was neat looking and I have never seen one like it. It folds up with the hook over the hammer part.

The marking is B.B. WELLS WEST STRAND

bbtool.jpg

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It MIGHT possibly be an old hoof pick for horses. The hook part is the actual hoof pick. The hammer aspect could be used, in an emergency situation, to re-set cliches on the horseshoes.

Cheers

Bartholomewroberts

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bartholomewroberts said:
It MIGHT possibly be an old hoof pick for horses. The hook part is the actual hoof pick. The hammer aspect could be used, in an emergency situation, to re-set cliches on the horseshoes.

Cheers

Bartholomewroberts
I agree. It's English made, dates to around 1850's to 1900, from what I can find out.
According to GOINS' ENCYCLOPEDIA OF CUTLERY MARKINGS, "B.B.
WELLS RAZOR MAKER WEST STRAND g 1875-1900"

Plus in the 1852 English census, from one of the genealogy sites,
there were a number of Wells names in Sheffield, a couple of families
of which were makers of tableware or general steel makers

Value around $25-$40, but that's just a guess. They made straight razors and corkscrews and multi-tools and who knows what else.

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
bb wells got his start making razors for the civil war,, his family got into ranching and cattle, latter in life, what you have is a bull/cinch. the hammer end goes into a bulls rectum, and you hook the other end into a fencepost, and it is a cinch that the bull is not going anywhere. foflmao :laughing7:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
eldorado said:
bb wells got his start making razors for the civil war,, his family got into ranching and cattle, latter in life, what you have is a bull/cinch. the hammer end goes into a bulls rectum, and you hook the other end into a fencepost, and it is a cinch that the bull is not going anywhere. foflmao :laughing7:
sounds like a very cruel tool

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions