What's new

Help me identify these 3 relics found in a Union camp.

flintchip

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
56
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these relics this year and I'm stumped. All came from the same Union camp. The round thing is pewter, the diamond-shaped one is brass, and the other one is a well preserved (out of a firepit) iron relic. Any help would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    111.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    119.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 003.webp
    003.webp
    113.2 KB · Views: 126
The diamond shape deal is from a pail or bucket.Its the Bail attachement
 
Upvote 0
Could you explain what a bail attachment is? Thanks.

The bail is the handle of the bucket. It connected to that piece which was fastened to the side of the bucket (one on each side) with rivets. A big clue is the shape of the center hole (worn out and stretched vertically) that that's where the stress on the metal was.
 
Upvote 0
I believe that's exactly what the brass is. Googled a pail from the late 19th century with a similar one on it. Thanks Kuger and Buckleboy.
 
Upvote 0
I have one of the Diamond shaped pieces also found in a C.W. campsite, Although mine is Rolled like it may have been attache to a pole ie. flagpole or something similar, and had thought that was what it was, mine too has he center hole elongated, I too will go with the bail attachment idea, I think that one is Solved.:thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
I have one of the Diamond shaped pieces also found in a C.W. campsite, Although mine is Rolled like it may have been attache to a pole ie. flagpole or something similar, and had thought that was what it was, mine too has he center hole elongated, I too will go with the bail attachment idea, I think that one is Solved.:thumbsup:

Gunrunner, It's nice to solve even a little piece of history.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom