Help me type this point.

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
This is a point that I found a few years ago. It is made very nicely and is one of my favorite finds. I am not sure what the type is or what the material is. I have found other points made of this same material. Very nice light brown color. Maybe a Upper Mercer variant? I think that I had this posted in the past and someone gave me an idea as to what type it is , but I dont remember for sure. Anyway , if you have an idea as to what it is and what it is made of please let me know.

Twig.

Attachments

• Picture 1458.jpg
    Picture 1458.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 274
  • Picture 306.jpg
    Picture 306.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 279
  • Picture 305.jpg
    Picture 305.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 286
  • Picture 1458.jpg
    Picture 1458.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 280
  • Picture 1459.jpg
    Picture 1459.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 287
Upvote 0
F

Flintfinder of Mo.

Looks like a Snyder's variant, or maybe a Buck creek. Jmo. John

P

pickaway

Man thats a nice piece.Looking at chert types of the midwest I think the material is pipe creek, they have a nice color plate of the material and almost all the pieces have those gray blobs.

book states,color is a medium chocolate brown ranging to a dark brown,it is often mottled with several shades of brown and contains a large number of fossiliferous inclusions which appear as small white streaks or spots.heat treatment turns some pieces pinkish brown to reddish brown in color

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Flintfinder,

It does have a bit of a snyders look to it , and I think someone had said Buck Creek on it once. Where are Buck Creek points generally from?

Pick,

Where is Pipe Creek material from? Ohio? I will have to get some pictures of the other points I have found in this material.

Twig.

P

pickaway

Erie county it outcrops on the NASA station at the old railroad cut and on the Schaffer farm near Sandusky in Erie county.

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
pickaway said:
Erie county it outcrops on the NASA station at the old railroad cut and on the Schaffer farm near Sandusky in Erie county.

Know right where your talking about. Only 30 minutes from here. They hunt some monster bucks there on the NASA land. Had no Idea there was a chert quarry from over there! I work w/some of the schaffers and have found a few pieces on their property.

Twig.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Jewel is right. That is a beautiful point.

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Thanks Guys,

Thanks for all the nice comment on the point. I think w/everyones help the point is now accuratly identified as a Buck Creek type made of Pipe Creek material. Both are right for the area, so I think you guys hit it right on the head. Thanks for the help.

Twig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions