Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20190425_170712.jpg 20190427_164733.jpg 20190427_193853.jpg
So I got Henry (my lrp) in the mail and tried him out. Seems really good at identifying trash. One thing I noticed is that bottle caps come up as a dime or quarter every time, but that's not that big of a deal. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed... there is so many options that I'm not sure what to use or what every thing is for. If anyone has tips for it (keep in mind I have canadian coins not u.s.) I'd appreciate it! One thing I realized is that it will be easier to miss a gold ring then a silver one. Every high tone you dig if you are looking for coins... but the lower tones for my coins are newer nickels and zinc pennies... and gold is in the low tones along with trash signals so it will he easier to assume it's trash and not dig. With a high tone you'd dig assuming it's a dime or a quarter, with low less valuable coin or trash:icon_scratch:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Read your manual AGAIN.

Dig Everything for the first two-weeks, or until you begin to understand the tones and numbers.

Only detect when you feel good-positive

Stop when you get tired or you're not having fun anymore

Get Some!:hello2:

jimcline

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging junk gets annoying but until you are willing to dig everything you will miss good stuff! I mainly relic hunt civil war sites and some of my best finds have rang up like junk metal.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tones and numbers give a pretty good idea of the target, but since a bottle cap has the "almost" same metal metrics of a dime, the LRP cannot be exact. No detector can. So we have to get a closer look by digging, which is why we get the junk with the good stuff. What can help is to walk around the target hitting it from different directions to see if the scan changes. A detector only says " I found something metal and I think it could be___." It's a metal detector. Not a coin or ring finder.

I've had many detectors from many manufactures in all price ranges. The LRP pretty much gives the same information as any of them up to 8" down. The more expensive ones can reach a little further down with better ID results. But other than that, the LRP commands the same ground info as any of them. Eight inches depth is where 90% of all coins and rings are found. So there's plenty to find with the LRP.

After a while, get used to the All Metal Mode (with target ID). It's a depth demon with killer results once you master it.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digging junk gets annoying but until you are willing to dig everything you will miss good stuff! I mainly relic hunt civil war sites and some of my best finds have rang up like junk metal.
Years ago I buried a (beaver) pull tab and a ring two feet apart at 6". I was able to see both with the same ID in disc mode. But in AM mode, I could detect a distinct difference especially lifting the coil slightly as I scanned. The tab couldn't hold the attention as well as the (solid) ring could. I still dig both type signals. But as I dig I keep saying "I know it's a tab" and am usually correct (or other junk). It's just the hunters bane. lol

Coins I usually get pretty exact. Got those signals nailed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tones and numbers give a pretty good idea of the target, but since a bottle cap has the "almost" same metal metrics of a dime, the LRP cannot be exact. No detector can. So we have to get a closer look by digging, which is why we get the junk with the good stuff. What can help is to walk around the target hitting it from different directions to see if the scan changes. A detector only says " I found something metal and I think it could be___." It's a metal detector. Not a coin or ring finder.

I've had many detectors from many manufactures in all price ranges. The LRP pretty much gives the same information as any of them up to 8" down. The more expensive ones can reach a little further down with better ID results. But other than that, the LRP commands the same ground info as any of them. Eight inches depth is where 90% of all coins and rings are found. So there's plenty to find with the LRP.

After a while, get used to the All Metal Mode (with target ID). It's a depth demon with killer results once you master it.

OK thanks for the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread