What's new

✅ SOLVED Help needed to ID maker's mark on ring

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2017
Messages
2,316
Reaction score
3,897
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Other
All, can anyone ID the maker's mark on this ring? Looks like a S on top of a W or vice-versa. I looked at a few websites and couldn't find a match.
 

Attachments

  • Ring.webp
    Ring.webp
    192 KB · Views: 127
Could it be Native American made?

Thanks Mike, I considered that as well as Mexican (among others). Looked at those maker's marks w/o finding it. It could be an undocumented mark, and if it is, I'll focus more on the pattern.
 
Upvote 0
Ok, so I showed the ring to a jeweler yesterday and here is what they said. The ring dates to the 1950s. If it was foreign-made (i.e. Mexico), that would appear on the inside of the band (due to a law passed in 1929). They said the style doesn't look Native American. Rather, given just initials for a maker's mark, the ring was probably made by an individual jeweler or a private company - which is why the maker hasn't been IDed. They said it was also probably made with a rolling mill.

With this update I'll mark this thread solved. Thanks again Mike for the assist!
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just for completeness, this ring wasn't properly identified back in 2019

That's the mark used by the J.D. Schlang Company of New York, NY between c.1943-c.1950
Red-Coat, thanks for the details.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom