Zacman3669

Jun 25, 2017
Newton abbot
Detector(s) used
Garret at pro
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all I don't know if anyone can help I have been given permission to search a large farm area and I was wondering if I let you know the postcode of the farm if you would possibly be able to help me establish where would be the best area to search I'm new to old maps etc are and find it areandll areandll bit much. But would be more than great ful for any help, I can tell you the postcode is you pm me. The farmer wouldnt like it if if posted it here understandably...

Some places for you to start that I don't need the zip code for. Start with the current owner, ask him about the history of the farm - is this the original house? Are these the original out buildings? If not where were they? Does he know the history of the property before he owned it?

Next google the county the property was located in for its history, and look for plat maps online and at any historical society for this county.

Finally do some research here on best places on a farm property to search. I know there are multiple threads on the topic that would be useful to you.

Good luck.

I agree with SusanMN on how to start! The farmer can tell you where pieces of pottery, old metal pieces and old worked stones were encountered when plowing the fields or tending to livestock. Also, check into the history of where any Roman forts, walls, settlements and roads would have been located and how they related to the farm permission property (i.e. were any close and/or possibly located on the property and did a road or wall pass through the property, etc.), Also, check into the history of other invaders and where they may have traveled to and/or stayed for a period of time. You may not want to give out a Postal Code and offer the chance that some unscrupulous treasure hunters will sneak in during the night, rape the fields and put the farmer and any treasure hunters which includes you, at odds, thus resulting in you loosing permission to the property.

Good luck!

Frank

Thankyou for your grear comments and I will ask and find out a bit more I know roman finds have been found not too far so I'm hopeful x x x

Good info from Susan! May I add..... Look around old trees still standing. Around the open front yard. They sat there on hot summer eves. Smaller gardens may contain caches. Stand off and "unfocus" your eyes to try and see slightly raised areas where OLD buildings may have been. Look for china shards and worked wooden material to home in on older building sites. Don't discard small iron "rocks". They may be meteorites. Good luck. ╦╦Ç

you can find anything anywhere

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back