What's new

Help: So I found many 40% silver half dollars, now what?

1869er

Full Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
142
Reaction score
29
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I went to the bank, they had $30.00 in half dollars in rolls. I was very surprised that, 52 of the 60 total coins were 40% silver, post 1964, but earlier than 1970. So what can I do with these now. How much are they technically worth? Also where do I trade them in for their real value if I wanted to? I personally am more interested in the 90% silver coins, and originally I was going to trade back in the 40%ers and keep hunting for the 90% ones, but now I'm not sure, what would you guys suggest? Can anyone give me any tips on these questions?
 
Upvote 0
You can list as "For Sale" them in this thread:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,289.0.html

They will sell fast if you don't want too much for them, I would sell them at $35 a roll for 40%'rs. The only thing that might work against you is you low post #'s. People wont know who you are so they might not reply to your ad. You can also list them on ebay.

Here is a silver coin melt calculator that you can use to see the value is.

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/silver_coin_calculator.html

Also check ebay to see what they are going for. Also don't try to sell them one at a time, people will be more likely to just buy them all. :thumbsup:
 
To get more than face, your best bet would be to call the coin dealers in your area, and take them to who is giving you the best offer.
 
1869er said:
Ok I went to the bank, they had $30.00 in half dollars in rolls. I was very surprised that, 52 of the 60 total coins were 40% silver, post 1964, but earlier than 1970. So what can I do with these now. How much are they technically worth? Also where do I trade them in for their real value if I wanted to? I personally am more interested in the 90% silver coins, and originally I was going to trade back in the 40%ers and keep hunting for the 90% ones. Can anyone give me any tips on these questions?


Actually 52 is not many in a relative sense. It is a great find to get them all at once like you did though. You can call local coin stores to see how much they will pay you for them. Chances are you will get more per coin if you have a higher face amount when you sell, like $100 plus or so. The premiums are high on all silver now with respect to premium over silver content, due to demand. In the past the premiums on 40% were very low because refiners prefer higher percentage silver metals. But buyers are wanting both 90% and 40%, so this is not a bad time to sell if you don't want to hold them for possible future price appreciation.

Jim
 
why can't we all get thrown into CRH with numbers like that. Great way to start 2009.

I agree with most everyone else...save them until you have like $100 of 40% and then sell them..either here on this site, forums, or usually the easiest is the coin collectors-stores in your area.
 
1869er if you are looking to get rid of them I would love to take them off your hands. ;D

-Golden Silver
 
Find a local coin dealer, I buy coins but I'm down here in Alabama so I can't help you, but when you do find a dealer, don't go in there bare naked... Have some knowledge behind you so they don't try to take advantage of you.
 
Just curious before I decide to sell em, what do people think as far as saving em goes? I mean with the way the economy is going...No matter if the US dollar depriciates more, I guess these coins will hold their value, and most likely increase their value huh. Do most you out there save your 40% coins, or trade em in? What are the pros vs. cons to exchanging em vs. saving em.

By the way, I just hit 3 more banks and got $30 more dollars in half dollars..... got skunked on those ones, I guess I just had beginners luck with the first round huh.
 
Your first haul was good. I'd hold onto them for a while and not try to cash and run
 
1869er said:
Just curious before I decide to sell em, what do people think as far as saving em goes? I mean with the way the economy is going...No matter if the US dollar depriciates more, I guess these coins will hold their value, and most likely increase their value huh. Do most you out there save your 40% coins, or trade em in?

I currently have just short of 2200 40% halves, and have had these for several years. I will be hanging on to mine for a while yet.
 
I just sold 540 of the 40% @ $1.75 each to another member of this forum
 
Hold them!!!!! Silver is set for a major raise in 2009. My dealers can not enough. I am having trouble buying because everyone wants way over spot to sell.
If I was going to sell E-Bay is the way to go. Even with the fees you will get more than a local dealer will pay you. Good luck.
 
1869er said:
Just curious before I decide to sell em, what do people think as far as saving em goes? I mean with the way the economy is going...No matter if the US dollar depriciates more, I guess these coins will hold their value, and most likely increase their value huh. Do most you out there save your 40% coins, or trade em in? What are the pros vs. cons to exchanging em vs. saving em.

By the way, I just hit 3 more banks and got $30 more dollars in half dollars..... got skunked on those ones, I guess I just had beginners luck with the first round huh.

Im 24 and got started in crh for fun and to make some cash. When silver was high over the summer i sold alot of my stash. Actually i sold almost all my stash. However i got over 600.00 for 10 rolls of 40%ers and 1 roll of 90's. My point is save them unless you need the cash. Silver is low right now and i feel if you can wait to til it goes back up to sell, do it.
Keith
 
They arn't worth anything please return them ;D ;D ;D ;D
 
Well, Silver is Silver just as Gold is Gold. Still the 40% Silver is Pure Silver.
If you are a composition CRH like me (looking for the precious metal) save them now.
I would not trade them in order to get 90% Silver or you will get skunked.

Any coin dealer in your area will buy them usually at $1.25 each. Not a lot but still is free money.

cibao030269
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom