Help with 1794 Flowing Hair Half Dollar real or fake.

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_6072.jpeg
    IMG_6072.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_6067.jpeg
    IMG_6067.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_6070.jpeg
    IMG_6070.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 163
well it is a damn good fake if indeed counterfeit. My problem with coin is LIBERTY has carrot indents at bottom of each letter. But look at this NCG coin on E-bay - no carrot indents on letters. Send it in and have it graded!
NGC Graded coin

Reactions: ARC
You know if I could tell a fake just from a pic I'd be in for a steep pay raise...show a pic of the edge and both sides of your coin out of the holder...add the weight and diameter and I'll tell if it's a forgery or not

Thanks for the reply’s. I’ll get more pictures in a bit. Phone died. Did manage get edge picture.

Attachments

• IMG_6073.jpeg
    IMG_6073.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 72
Hi - It looks much more like a replica than an original to me. Here's a comparison -the top one is a fake off of Etsy, the middle is yours, and the bottom one sold at Heritage Auctions for 870K in 2021. Look at the stars and hair.. just to start.

Attachments

• halfd1794compare.jpg
    halfd1794compare.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 143
It's a fake. Unfortunately, fake coins from China are everywhere. Where did you get this one?

The stars are not right. They are rotated. The point of the star should be facing the rim. I think all US coins are like that. The US needs to retaliate against China for all the fakes they produce. Maybe flood China with a billion fake yuan notes.😂

Nothing about it matches any of the genuine varieties.

It's worth its weight in the pot metal it's made of. 😄👍

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back