What's new

Help with age of train cuff link.......

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2007
Messages
3,295
Reaction score
2,665
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vicksburg Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to age this old cuff link. Any help? Found in an 1850's yard.
 

Attachments

  • DSC05697.webp
    DSC05697.webp
    42.5 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC05698.webp
    DSC05698.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 345
  • DSC05697.webp
    DSC05697.webp
    42.5 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC05698.webp
    DSC05698.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 320
I dug a similar piece with a railroad name on it (sadly, I have no picture at present). Mine was a small cuff button, but without the link attachment. I found it in a park where most of the early finds were from the 1880s.

I suppose yours could be from the first few decades of the 20th century, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were from the last three decades of the 19th century (say, 1870s to 1890s)- that's the aura I get off of it, personally. You say it came off an 1850s site so I would be inclined to place it in the Victorian era rather than the 20th century.

Nifty find! :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
lordmarcovan said:
I dug a similar piece with a railroad name on it (sadly, I have no picture at present). Mine was a small cuff button, but without the link attachment. I found it in a park where most of the early finds were from the 1880s.

I suppose yours could be from the first few decades of the 20th century, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were from the last three decades of the 19th century (say, 1870s to 1890s)- that's the aura I get off of it, personally. You say it came off an 1850s site so I would be inclined to place it in the Victorian era rather than the 20th century.
I disagree. I dont think cufflinks were this style in the 1800's. Its a post 1910 cufflink for sure.. My guess circa 1920.
cufflinks.webp

Compare to cufflinks from my 1909 Sears Roebuck Catalog:
 

Attachments

  • cufflinks.webp
    cufflinks.webp
    56.5 KB · Views: 341
  • button fashion train.webp
    button fashion train.webp
    15.4 KB · Views: 240
Upvote 0
Judging by the connection, this cufflink was made after the 1880's and before 1920. During the 1920's the solid post connection, then the flip solid post was invented. Nice find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Judging by the connection, this cufflink was made after the 1880's and before 1920. During the 1920's the solid post connection, then the flip solid post was invented. Nice find, Breezie
I agree but I have nothing like it in my 1909 Sears catalog (see above pic). They are all the dumbell type (below). So it must be post 1909 and pre 1920, I guess.. :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • cufflinks victorian.webp
    cufflinks victorian.webp
    1.1 KB · Views: 240
  • cufflinks victorian.webp
    cufflinks victorian.webp
    1.1 KB · Views: 221
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Breezie said:
Judging by the connection, this cufflink was made after the 1880's and before 1920. During the 1920's the solid post connection, then the flip solid post was invented. Nice find, Breezie
I agree but I have nothing like it in my 1909 Sears catalog (see above pic). They are all the dumbell type (below). So it must be post 1909 and pre 1920, I guess.. :dontknow:

The dumbell type post(solid, not linked like this one) was invented in the 1880's and was used until the 1920's when the flip post was invented. I can see where my first post was somewhat confusing; hopefully this will explain better. BUT, just because this cufflink is a 'loose link,' does not mean it couldn't have been made 'after' the 1880's. Like any other item, companies are not going to change their industry/machinery immediately. Probably the best way to date this cufflink is by dating the train engine. ;D Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Breezie said:
Judging by the connection, this cufflink was made after the 1880's and before 1920. During the 1920's the solid post connection, then the flip solid post was invented. Nice find, Breezie
I agree but I have nothing like it in my 1909 Sears catalog (see above pic). They are all the dumbell type (below). So it must be post 1909 and pre 1920, I guess.. :dontknow:

The dumbell type post(solid, not linked like this one) was invented in the 1880's and was used until the 1920's when the flip post was invented. I can see where my first post was somewhat confusing; hopefully this will explain better. BUT, just because this cufflink is a 'loose link,' does not mean it couldn't have been made 'after' the 1880's. Like any other item, companies are not going to change their industry/machinery immediately. Probably the best way to date this cufflink is by dating the train engine. ;D Breezie
Now Im confused. You say the solid dumbell type was invented in the 1880's, and the flip post was invented in the 1920's. Thats all good but where does the loose link fit in? ??? I think 1910-1920 but you said post 1880. Does that mean loose links are older?. I have a loose link horseless carriage.
 

Attachments

  • cufflinks horseless carriage.webp
    cufflinks horseless carriage.webp
    6.6 KB · Views: 246
  • cufflinks horseless carriage.webp
    cufflinks horseless carriage.webp
    6.6 KB · Views: 245
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Breezie said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Breezie said:
Judging by the connection, this cufflink was made after the 1880's and before 1920. During the 1920's the solid post connection, then the flip solid post was invented. Nice find, Breezie
I agree but I have nothing like it in my 1909 Sears catalog (see above pic). They are all the dumbell type (below). So it must be post 1909 and pre 1920, I guess.. :dontknow:

The dumbell type post(solid, not linked like this one) was invented in the 1880's and was used until the 1920's when the flip post was invented. I can see where my first post was somewhat confusing; hopefully this will explain better. BUT, just because this cufflink is a 'loose link,' does not mean it couldn't have been made 'after' the 1880's. Like any other item, companies are not going to change their industry/machinery immediately. Probably the best way to date this cufflink is by dating the train engine. ;D Breezie
Now Im confused. You say the solid dumbell type was invented in the 1880's, and the flip post was invented in the 1920's. Thats all good but where does the loose link fit in? ??? I think 1910-1920 but you said post 1880. Does that mean loose links are older?. I have a loose link horseless carriage.

Yes, loose links are older.


17th Century: Simple button linked with a ribbon or chain
1880s: Solid Post Dumbell
1920s: Flip post
1930s: Snap together cufflinks

The pre-1880's cufflinks had a loose chain, BUT just because a cufflink has a loose chain does not necessarily mean it was made pre-1880s because not all companies stopped making one style to make another style. I'm sure we could find cufflinks today with a chain on them, but you have to look at the overall cufflink. It's like identifying Civil War buttons, you just can't go on one aspect. My guesstimate on the train cufflink would be 1880's prior to or on the cusp of the stationary dumb bell post type. I think your carriage cufflinks are that old too. ;D Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Yes, loose links are older.


17th Century: Simple button linked with a ribbon or chain
1880s: Solid Post Dumbell
1920s: Flip post
1930s: Snap together cufflinks

The pre-1880's cufflinks had a loose chain, BUT just because a cufflink has a loose chain does not necessarily mean it was made pre-1880s because not all companies stopped making one style to make another style. I'm sure we could find cufflinks today with a chain on them, but you have to look at the overall cufflink. It's like identifying Civil War buttons, you just can't go on one aspect. My guesstimate on the train cufflink would be 1880's prior to or on the cusp of the stationary dumb bell post type. I think your carriage cufflinks are that old too. ;D Breezie
OK I understand. I didnt realize this type of loose link was that old. Mine was IDed as 1920ish but may need more research. Heres a good post of old cufflinks. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,286424.0.html
 
Upvote 0
I'm learning stuff, here. Very enlightening.

I now wish I had some old Sears catalog reprints like that. Used to have a reprint of the 1900 catalog, a long time ago.
 
Upvote 0
Im learning too. :) Yes I failed to say its a catalog reprint and may not have all the pages.
 

Attachments

  • MVC-036S.webp
    MVC-036S.webp
    49.9 KB · Views: 168
  • MVC-036S.webp
    MVC-036S.webp
    49.9 KB · Views: 175
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom