Help with ammo identification - New guy

stranger

Jun 14, 2006
Hi all,

I've been detecting for 2 weeks or so and found this forum. Great site and you guys have found some awesome items.

Here is a pic of some of the things i've found so far on property owned by my family for over a century in Illinois. The brass shotgun shell says "Winchester No. 10"...it was found on an old homesite that has been gone for over 75 years...any idea on age? Supposedly, on one area of our property, there was a military range and I found the shell casings and the lead bullets there. Were the bullets muzzeloader? Any information as to possible age, etc would be greatly appreciated. One of the shell casings says "F" "89" and "12". Thanks for your help, very interesting forum.

Attachments

• ammo3.jpg
    ammo3.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 385

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
the large one on the top right, what are the stampings on the bottom, i have a brass 12ga live one that looks the same

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stranger

Jun 14, 2006
The large on on the right is a shotgun shell hull. Says "Winchester no. 10" - 10 gauge I'd naturally assume.

L

Upvote 0

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Late 1800's 10 GA shotshell.

Give me the headstamps from the other casings and I will ID them for ya.

If those are military casings, they read this way...

Hold the casing with the two letters at the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions.

Read left to right, top to bottom, without turning the casing.

This will keep FA89 from being FA68.

Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
DigEmAll said:
Late 1800's 10 GA shotshell.

Give me the headstamps from the other casings and I will ID them for ya.

If those are military casings, they read this way...

Hold the casing with the two letters at the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions.

Read left to right, top to bottom, without turning the casing.

This will keep FA89 from being FA68.
DigEmAll!!

Look at you. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiceeeeeeeeeeeee!!

You are on this one.

Tony

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Nice work, DigEmAll!

BTW, that was also some interesting info about pinstriping that you posted in the "Long Hooks ID" thread.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi not enoug information or pcture, but as a wild guess,

lower row left to right 45 S&W, 45 -70, 38-55, 30-40 krag, 45 colt, possibly another 38-55 .

Top row left to right 45-70 500 grain, 45-70 500 grain, same after an impact with a firm surface, 45-70- 500 grain, 10 guage brass shotun case for reloading, possibly a 38 cal projectile.

Just not enough information available.

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bullets look comtemporary to me, contemporary meaning used in a cartridge case as opposed to a muzzle loader. The small one at the far right top could be a muzzle loader bullet as it resembles a minnie ball, but hard to tell. Monty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stranger

Jun 14, 2006
Thanks for the info so far...bear with me i'm new to this. WHat information would be useful in IDing these things. I'm curious to know the approx age just for curiousity sake.

The far bottom left cartrige reads.... at 12 o'clock = "F".....at 4 o'clock = "89"....at 8 o'clock = "12"
Next one says "WR A C0 45 70" - I assume winchester repeating arms 45 70...any idea on age?
3rd from left on bottom - 12 oclock = F 4 O'clock = 01 8 oclock = 10
bottom row...4th from the left (tall one) reads 12 oclock = F 4 o'clock =01 8 oclock = 7
next in line 12 oclock =F 4 oclock =2 8 oclock =82
last on on bottom 12 oclock = F 4 oclock = 01 8 oclock = 7

another one not pictured has F 01 5 (same layout as previously listed ones)

So the bullets in the first pics are likey 45 70???

Millitary???? Turn of the century or earlier or later???? Any opinions are welcome...thanks so much for the help..great forum!!

Attachments

• head shot.jpg
    head shot.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 277
Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[]=Monty ]
The bull[/email]te authorets look comtemporary to me, contemporary meaning used in a cartridge case as opposed to a muzzle loader. The small one at the far right top could be a muzzle loader bullet as it resembles a minnie ball, but hard to tell. Monty

As usual Monte, you are right

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO" Revision in effect from latest data. sniff.

left to right, 10 guage shotgn case,

45 70 Framkfort arsenal, Dec 89.

45 70 WRA standard for the period..

30 40 Frankford arsenal 1901 Oct.

30 40 Frankfors arsenal 1901 July

45 70 Frankford arsenal 1882 Feb.

30 40 FDrankford arsenal 1901 Aug.

sorry about the 38 55, but, sniff, even "I" am not perfect (Yes sir, no sir , no excuse sir)-

You can see the evoloution of the rim on the 45 70 for better extraction purporses with the Springfield Trapdoor model.

It is interesting is that these are all gov't cases/cartridges and were fired from 3 different rifles.

Without being too nosey, where were these found ?

I now believe that the pistol projectile /bullet is from a 38 colt revolver. The cartridge was erroneously called the 38 long colt. This was dropped in favor of the 45 1911 ACP.

Period? prob in the first of the 1900's, before 1906 - 1911.

Tropical Tramp

Agreed DOC?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stranger

Jun 14, 2006
Wow, ask and look what answer I received...Thanks so much. Doc sent a link to a page outlining IDing cartriges....so hopefully i can be more self sufficient in the future. I found these on our property in Illinois. The history books state that there was a rifle range located on our property in the 1800's to early 1900's. I've only looked for a short period of time and found these on 2 different hunts...I need to mow again so i can look for more and possibly some other goodies.

Most sincere thanks again!!!

Upvote 0

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
RealdeTayopa said:
HIO" Revision in effect from latest data. sniff.

left to right, 10 guage shotgn case,

45 70 Framkfort arsenal, Dec 89.

45 70 WRA standard for the period..

30 40 Frankford arsenal 1901 Oct.

30 40 Frankfors arsenal 1901 July

45 70 Frankford arsenal 1882 Feb.

30 40 FDrankford arsenal 1901 Aug.

sorry about the 38 55, but, sniff, even "I" am not perfect (Yes sir, no sir , no excuse sir)-

You can see the evoloution of the rim on the 45 70 for better extraction purporses with the Springfield Trapdoor model.

It is interesting is that these are all gov't cases/cartridges and were fired from 3 different rifles.

Without being too nosey, where were these found ?

I now believe that the pistol projectile /bullet is from a 38 colt revolver. The cartridge was erroneously called the 38 long colt. This was dropped in favor of the 45 1911 ACP.

Period? prob in the first of the 1900's, before 1906 - 1911.

Tropical Tramp

He beat me to it, but these are the answers I would have given you as well.
DigEmAll

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=DigEmAll

He beat me to it, but these are the answers I would have given you as well.
DigEmAll
Digem, I can honestly say that you are very coversant with arms and ammunition. (you know yer cottin pickin guns ) I agree that if I hadn't been alble to access the net before you, you would have said the same.

Let's go narco hunting some day! Take doc along as the backup, and
Gypsy for me.

JK STANGER now that the ice has been broken, welcome and keep posting, If I were in the US I would beat a path to your location with a detector.

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
RealdeTayopa said:
Question. I said that they were fired from at least 3 different rifles, no one has asked how I came up with this data.

Tropical Tramp

Of course they were fired from three different rifles....
the 30-40, 45-70, and 38-55 were three different calibers! LOL
;D ;D ;D

(I too know how this is determined, but will let someone do a little thinking and come up with the answer.  Maybe someone can learn something here. By the way... it has nothing to do with the my caliber statement to the Windmill Tipper- El Jefe Grande de Tayopa)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions