Help with an old padlock

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was out today, and found this old Padlock. On one side it says "MADE IN NEW HAVEN CONN. U.S.A., and on the other side the name reads (I think) REC-GRD or something close to that. It's real hard to be sure, as some of the letters have been hit with something in the past, and they are a little misshapen. Does anyone know anything about this lock? Age or etc?

New Haven is a long ways from Lincoln, Nebraska.

Thanks for your time. I tried posting pictures, but my poor camera doesn't do that good a job on close ups. Hope they give you some idea as to what I was working with.

Attachments

• Cooper Park lock (front).jpg
    Cooper Park lock (front).jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 247
  • Cooper Park lock (fronta).jpg
    Cooper Park lock (fronta).jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 227
  • Cooper Park lock 4-11-09.jpg
    Cooper Park lock 4-11-09.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 240
  • Cooper Park locka.jpg
    Cooper Park locka.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 252

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
trikikiwi said:
The word looks like RECORD :icon_scratch:
Mike

It does... and it is! :thumbsup:

This "RECORD" warded brass padlock is listed as #59 in "Warded - Part 4," pp. 270, 272 in Arnall's book, The Padlock Collector. No date listed, but it's probably around 100-120 years old. The most recent edition of the book values the lock at $8. There were over a dozen lock manufacturers in New Haven, CT, operating under various names: Barnes Mfg., Sargent & Co., Mallory, Wheeler & Co., et al.

There is also a version with "RECORD" on one side and "RFD" on the other. (After RFD - Rural Free Delivery - mail service was introduced in 1896, a number of companies began offering "RFD" locks.)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread