What's new

✅ SOLVED Help with button ID please?

deepsecrets

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2009
Messages
773
Reaction score
874
Golden Thread
1
Location
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help with an ID and date on this button? Plain front - still has some gilt. Reverse has I&T Fassitt Rich Gilt.
Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • button1.webp
    button1.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 132
I'm going to take a guess. I think the backmark is for Thomas & James Fassitt of Philadelphia. They were prominent business men in the 1820's. Back in the early 19th C, the letters I and J were sort of interchangeable. That's why we have no "J" Street in Washington DC.

Thomas & James were among the original investors in the Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Delaware Steam Navigation Company in 1826.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Matt - Fantastic! That nails it for me!! Fassitt's were the largest dry goods merchants in Philadelphia at the turn of the 19th C. The button was found in an area that has produced several late 1700's and early 1800's coins - I found an 1830 half-dime in the same hole with the button. Thanks for the super ID:notworthy:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom