Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love collecting pincherettes and I have several chrome plated ones. However I just purchased this brass one that has China on the bottom and some symbol. I?m thinking 1940s to 1950s, but maybe someone could chime in with a more accurate determination. Thanks.

aj

3E87B028-74AC-4162-807D-F5A5023AA1C7.jpeg 69B82539-19F6-4EBF-8972-3A31E2D05C9E.jpeg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thatā€™s a fun item. I donā€™t know what the Chinese character might be, but there are three possibilities for dating:

1. That particular design was registered by Ray R. Hutcheson for Diecasters, Inc. of New York, NY on 16 December 1935 and granted for a term of 7 years on 18 Feb 1936. There was a later ā€˜crocodileā€™ version too.,, both produced as chrome-plated and they carry the relevant patent numbers. As far as I can tell, that design patent wasnā€™t renewed and so could have been copied by a Chinese manufacturer after expiry in early 1942. Certainly the design was copied by others in the 1950s but there was no formal trade between mainland China and the US after the Chinese revolution of 1949, so that would give you a narrow window between 1942-1949.

Hutcheson.jpg

2. US trade with China resumed in the 1970s, so it could have been made after that (although the appearance suggests not). Also, by this time ā€œChinaā€ had become the Peopleā€™s Republic of China and the marks used for export generally reflected that change, rather than just using the single word ā€œChinaā€. So, I think thatā€™s unlikely.

3. If it had been made prior to Hutchesonā€™s design patent registration and exported to the US then it would have had to be marked with more than just country of origin in English after 1914 (as per the McKinley Tariff Act). The Act additionally required the words ā€œmade inā€¦ā€ in English, although that part of the requirement wasnā€™t rigorously enforced until around 1921. The requirement for ā€œmade inā€¦ā€ was dropped in the 1930 revision to the Act. So, it could conceivably have been made in the windows between 1914 and 1921, or between 1930 and 1936. I think thatā€™s also unlikely since Hutcheson shouldnā€™t have been able to get a design patent for an item which already had ā€œprior artā€, unless the design was exclusively his to begin with and simply hadnā€™t yet been registered.

My money would be on #1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ajaj

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-Coat. This is what I was thinking also. I am keeping your discourse on ā€œMade inā€ handy because I believe it is relevant to so many items.

aj

Upvote 0

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I learned our old ashtray handed down is a pincherette! Thanks! :laughing7:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ajaj

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, they are interesting. Here?s a few in my small collection..

E4924339-37AB-412E-9528-D87E153760A1.jpeg

aj

Upvote 0

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting stamp. Rotating the image with the word China shows the character 么 me. 么 me is a suffix used in interogatives, pronouns and adverbs. For example 什么 shenme (what) 那么 name (like that; in that way; so), čæ™ä¹ˆzhema (so; such; this way; like this) However it can also mean the character å¹ŗ yao or mi which is a surname in Chinese or could mean youngest, tiny, small. The character is generally not on its own but with another character.

me.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread