Help with Metal Detecting Newsletter...

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just agreed to take on our metal detecting clubs newsletter. I never published a newletter so I was hoping some of the members on T-Net could give some suggestions or share sample Metal Detecting newsletters from your clubs. I want to make it interesting, informative, interactive and fun. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

NJ

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
To make your life easy use Microsoft Publisher or a similar desktop publishing program. Get with the person who used to do the job, if there is such a person.

I would google up "club newsletters" to get some ideas.

Good luck.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody wants to do this necessary job. You will need the help of all the members to submit things to go in the newsletter, like articles, photos, etc.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I was in the same capacity for several years ..... doing the newsletter for a club. Here's how I did it: Simply record on scratch paper all the topics, decisions rendered, etc... of each monthly meeting. Then the newsletter that follows reports that "such & such was discussed, ..... and it was decided that such & such ...." etc.... by "reporting" these items, you are covering the requirements that a non-profit entity "keep records of meetings", as well as making a newsletter at the same time.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
When you are all done I have a thought for you. My wife and I work on a couple of newsletters. When you are planning your newsletter also plan to convert the file to a .pdf. This is a great way to get the newsletter out to most of your members quickly, and cheaply.
There are usually a couple that are not online, so you need to print some too. This has cut way down on the work and expense in mailing them, and members love it.

Good Luck.
Mark

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
mpostma said:
When you are all done I have a thought for you. My wife and I work on a couple of newsletters. When you are planning your newsletter also plan to convert the file to a .pdf. This is a great way to get the newsletter out to most of your members quickly, and cheaply.
There are usually a couple that are not online, so you need to print some too. This has cut way down on the work and expense in mailing them, and members love it.

Good Luck.
Mark

I totally agree...PDF is the way to go, if you can do it! And they can also save them for references!

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
There are some inexpensive and free pdf converters out there.
I happen to have CS1, so I'm kinda spoiled in that regard.
Best of Luck,
Mark

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
joecoin said:
To make your life easy use Microsoft Publisher or a similar desktop publishing program. Get with the person who used to do the job, if there is such a person.

I would google up "club newsletters" to get some ideas.

Good luck.

Joecoin,
I started looking at different software packages last night. I'm looking to spend no more then $50. I have a friend in the electronic publishing/graphics arts business so I'm waiting for recommendations from him on this one. I will check out Microsoft Publisher though.

I also printed of samples of ten or so different metal detecting newsletters that I found online.
Thanks
NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
Nobody wants to do this necessary job. You will need the help of all the members to submit things to go in the newsletter, like articles, photos, etc.

Sandman,
We tried this in the past but most of the members don't want to write anything and believe it or not most don't have digital cameras. They are old school. I think this is one of the reasons they asked me to take it over. I'm definitely not a tech person but I'm not afraid to try different things. I recently put together an electronic slide show of our club hunt which I've never done before but it turned out pretty well.

I know a few historians, archaeologists and authors so I will try to get them to write some articles but I will keep dripping on the club members for them to contribute. After all it is their newsletter.
Thanks
NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Use lots of pictures and keep away from
a bunch of words.

;D :wink:

all have a good un............
SHERMANVILLE

Good tip...I'll try to do that.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom_in_CA said:
I was in the same capacity for several years ..... doing the newsletter for a club. Here's how I did it: Simply record on scratch paper all the topics, decisions rendered, etc... of each monthly meeting. Then the newsletter that follows reports that "such & such was discussed, ..... and it was decided that such & such ...." etc.... by "reporting" these items, you are covering the requirements that a non-profit entity "keep records of meetings", as well as making a newsletter at the same time.

Tom,
Thanks for the suggestion. I may have a small section that gives a quick overview but we do have a secretary that records the minutes each meeting them reads them off at the beginning of the next meeting. I don't want to keep repeating the same information. I really want to make this something the club will enjoy reading and if they learn a thing or two and have some fun while doing it then I've accomplished what I wanted.
Thanks
NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mpostma said:

Good Luck.
Mark

mpotma,
My game plan is to email out the PDF then bring a few hard copies to the meeting. I'm not going to start mailing out hard copies...to time consuming and expensive like you stated. I have Adobe Writer so I should have no problems with creating a PDF.
Thanks
John

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone...Once I get the format and process down I'm coming back to you for suggestions on articles/topics so keep brain storming.

Thanks again

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread