Primary Interest:
Prospecting

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the plate map can be oriented to the same as your google earth map, it should be easy. You will need the coordinates,( lat and long), and the magnetic declination from true north for the particular area, and the plate map overlay needs to be in the same scale of your primary image, All these factors should be readily fixed on the computer, If not the maps, and overlay can be copied and expanded or reduced on paper. Hope this helped.

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was hoping to just use the coords of the red x on the grid as my centering point it doesn't have to be perfect, then try to match the cords and scale it up or down but it sounds harder than I thought, thanks for your help though. I think I understood lol I'll give it a shot.

songdog

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very easy!
Save your map image to your desktop.
Open Google Earth.
Open the IMAGE OVERLAY TOOL and BROWSE your desktop for your map image. Open the file and it will appear on Google Earth.
You will notice some green "handles" on yor image which allows you to fit your image into the proper place on your map.

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you guys for the replies, I got it to work.

mooseoftoose

Aug 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
historicmapworks.com has an overlay feature that does it automatically with historic maps of your area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread