OP
A

alexch17

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Thanks!
Let me show you more pictures. I would doubt that is fake, but I appreciate comments.

P1040570.jpg P1040571.jpg P1040572.jpg

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Alex, Welcome to Treasure Net !!
The item has a slight resemblance to a cob coin. But cobs (to my knowledge) never were minted with the dots forming the shape of a triangle; rather, always in a circle. I think this is a tourist souvenir 'coin'.
Another consideration: The item's denomination is an 8-reales, yet real 8-reales cobs weigh about 27 grams.
Don.......

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

alexch17

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!
the coin seems to be cut in those tree areas. It seems that at some point the Cob was round. However, that is a good observation since I haven't seen a triangular design cob like that. I would have to keep researching. Would you have the picture of the resemble cob?
thanks for your opinion,
Alex

Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, that was never round. Look at the side with the pillars and the edge beading...it was made triangular. Most definitely a tourist "copy"...fantasy piece.

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Welcome, Alex. I see that you posted the same question on ColonialCobs, but I'll answer here as there is a larger response. It is strictly a fantasy piece. As Don pointed out, the weight doesn't add up. The 8 reales would be 27 grams for a full weight. In addition, the "castles" are wrong. The assayer for this piece is "E" or Antonio de Ergueta. He held title of Assayer for 25+ years. The designer of this piece didn't even get the assayer marks correct. The "E" should be in the lower left of the Pillar and Waves tic-tac-toe and in the upper right. As you can see, there is another assayer "R" in the upper right. Antonio never shared title. In addition, his work was quite precise and not sloppy as the castles on your piece depict. His Castles were large bastions that you can make out individual windows.

I hope you didn't pay a lot for it. It is a "unique" conversation piece.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

alexch17

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down, thanks for the detail information about this coin. I really appreciate it.
I only paid approx. $25 for it in a little market on my way to Machu Picchu, so if somebody go to Cuzco better be careful with the coins up there since they are very well done.
I have another coin that my Father bought in Peru too. Would it be possible for you to check that one too? I will post the picture as soon as I get the images.
Best,
Alex

Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No expert by any means....that being said, It looks all wrong, more like a tourist jingle jangle boble. In other words Fake. JMHO HH:dontknow:

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Diver_Down, thanks for the detail information about this coin. I really appreciate it.
I only paid approx. $25 for it in a little market on my way to Machu Picchu, so if somebody go to Cuzco better be careful with the coins up there since they are very well done.
I have another coin that my Father bought in Peru too. Would it be possible for you to check that one too? I will post the picture as soon as I get the images.
Best,
Alex
A cob like that would be worth a lot more than $25 if real. I searched eBay but didnt see it. Obviously a fantasy piece.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread