What's new

Help with the identity I think of a coin

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
1,450
Reaction score
925
Golden Thread
1
Location
NY
🥇 Banner finds
1
Hello I dug this years ago. I think it is a coin but not sure pretty well worn. I have always wondered all these years what it is and how old it may be. Thank you all for your help on this one and all your help on the other whats it I have posted.

Happy Hunting,

Bubba65
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1676.webp
    IMG_1676.webp
    38.4 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_1679.webp
    IMG_1679.webp
    30.8 KB · Views: 409
Wow! That looks interesting :icon_thumleft: Nice find Bubba!
Interesting patterns of marks on it.

Mike
 
Upvote 0
with fluer de lis markings ---I'm thinking french or spanish on first look
 
Upvote 0
French 6 Deniers (1710-1712) Your mint letter was punched out of the center.
 

Attachments

  • Louis XIV - 6 deniers Dardenne.webp
    Louis XIV - 6 deniers Dardenne.webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 374
Upvote 0
Really interesting find! Now that it's been identified as a coin, we have to figure out use. The file marks show some time was spent possibly shaping what ever went through the hole. I'm guessing the cutout on the side was almost certainly to accomodate a hinge, and the top hole maybe for a small finial or (and) a way to to secure the hinge. In other words it seems like it was a hinged lid, but to what I don't know.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
French 6 Deniers (1710-1712) Your mint letter was punched out of the center.



Nice id :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
Really interesting find! Now that it's been identified as a coin, we have to figure out use. The file marks show some time was spent possibly shaping what ever went through the hole. I'm guessing the cutout on the side was almost certainly to accomodate a hinge, and the top hole maybe for a small finial or (and) a way to to secure the hinge. In other words it seems like it was a hinged lid, but to what I don't know.


Or a part that rotated and the cut out was where it stopped or locked.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
johnnyi said:
Really interesting find! Now that it's been identified as a coin, we have to figure out use. The file marks show some time was spent possibly shaping what ever went through the hole. I'm guessing the cutout on the side was almost certainly to accomodate a hinge, and the top hole maybe for a small finial or (and) a way to to secure the hinge. In other words it seems like it was a hinged lid, but to what I don't know.


Or a part that rotated and the cut out was where it stopped or locked.

Yes, definately a mystery :dontknow:. It's always particularly cool when a coin's found that was used for something else.
 
Upvote 0
yep --a rotating latch with a nail put thru center hole --lower it with notch on rim in alinement with a tab type catch on bottom ---then roate it a bit so that its now "not alined" anymore thus shutting it closed --to open ==reline the hole and the catch and lift open.
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
yep --a rotating latch with a nail put thru center hole --lower it with notch on rim in alinement with a tab type catch on bottom ---then roate it a bit so that its now "not alined" anymore thus shutting it closed --to open ==reline the hole and the catch and lift open.

I don't know about the "latch" idea. Besides it sounding kind of impractical, there's the probelm (the fact) that both sides of the coin have been filed in a particular way against a central point. This is obvious from their patterns ((on both sides). I'll stick with a "lid" myself, but I don;t know to what (unless maybe a pipe)
 
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for looking and helping. Thanks Iron Patch for the id. I dug this coin about 15 years ago and always wondered what it was. Sorry for the delay my computer had a bad virus couldn't do anything on it until I kicked it in the butt.

Happy Hunting ,

Bubba65
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom