What's new

Help with this point.

JWT70

Full Member
Joined
May 26, 2012
Messages
130
Reaction score
64
Golden Thread
0
I bought this at a local shop, and was wondering if somebody here could give me some tips on telling if it's authentic or not. I've found several around this area, and it looks like the real deal to me. Also could you give me an estimate of what you think it might be worth. Thanks.

ForumRunner_20130918_182112.webp



ForumRunner_20130918_182156.webp
 
Upvote 0
Thats a tough one, not sure where your from.
Beware of antique/ flea market finds, not saying its not real, but with pics. only, you will not get a definative answer.
If its a fake, its a good one, refer to MR's posts...
I do hope its real, thanks for posting.
Steve
 
I'm from Georgia. It's made with the type of flint found in this area. I've found enough around here to know what they look like, but being that I didn't find it, I was looking for some other way to verify. I appreciate your help.
 
JW it's real hard to tell real from fake, you would know better than anyone of things found in your area. There is a lot that goes into spotting a fake, like where was it found, in a field, in a creek, how well do you know the person you got it from. It is a buyer beware market, most replica clovis points sell for $10 per inch, when a real clovis can go for $100 per inch. Things to think about, is that stone from your area, is that style of point from your area. Sorry I could not help more, but it is a good looking point.
 
Did you buy it from a antique store? I have seen some fakes in that type of stores but I have also seen mostly real ones. I buy from time to time from my area. Im in N GA. I buy them cause usually they are the same thing I find and I like to compare to the ones I have found. If it looks just like the ones you find chances it is real. Study the flaking on the ones you find and then compare it to the one you bought.
 
I bought it from an antique store. I knew it could be fake but it looked real and I took the chance on it. I guess the only way is to carbon date it. What I paid for it isn't gonna break me, so anyways I appreciate all the feedback.
 
Not sure it can be carbon dated, without any organic matter, but I think you must have done OK. Better off taking it in to a local college or outfit. Around here it cost about $250 to have something carbon dated and takes about 8 weeks to get results...
Thanks for posting again,
Steve
 
I appreciate the help.
 
Pretty sure you can not carbon date it and the material looks like Burlington or Peoria chert. I know Peoria is not found in Georgia and pretty sure Burlington isn't. But hey, I'm just guessing . That's all you can do from a photo. If you didn't pay a lot for it, you got a good deal even if it's a modern piece.
 
I know I dont find that type of stone here but I have seen Americus pull some lite color ones down south of me. If it is the same type of stone you find it could be real. Can we see the ones you have found like it?
 
I don't see the kind of heavy patina that is common on Georgia Flint..that's the first thing I noticed.
I would also like to see ones you have found.
Here is some south Georgia Flint.

ForumRunner_20130918_222914.webp
 

You should know best with all of those points. What else can you show us? Take your pics outside for the best results. Not all GA points have Patina on them, check this out. Fresh as the day it was made.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2101.webp
    100_2101.webp
    184.9 KB · Views: 115
What type of point would u say that one is. What time period etc. I have one nearly identical I found here in illinois.
 
I believe it's a bolen.
 
It's sure perfect and clean.
 
Last edited:
Yeah. Whoever made it is good.
 
Here is a picture of mine.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130919_083131.webp
    ForumRunner_20130919_083131.webp
    27.4 KB · Views: 88

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom