Help with type and age

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I’ve been asked to be the guest speaker at a Lions Club meeting in our county. I’m going to display an assortment of finds from our acreage. Some metal detecting finds, a few bottles and a few NA artifacts, including the 2 pieces shown here.
For size reference, the little man is 3” tall. The point appears to be Burlington flint and the blade is probably flint and may have been heat treated. The coloration makes me wonder.
I need some help as to types and approximate periods they are from.
I don’t want to mislead the audience.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2574.jpeg
    IMG_2574.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2573.jpeg
    IMG_2573.jpeg
    983.8 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 3

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one on the right looks like a milky quartz and the left one appears to be cert. I don't know about the heat treat theory. They're two completely different types of minerals in my mind.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
The one on the right looks like a milky quartz and the left one appears to be cert. I don't know about the heat treat theory. They're two completely different types of minerals in my mind.
Thanks. I posted them before and couldn’t locate the posts; I finally found them.
I’m hoping for a ballpark idea on how old they would be.👍🏼

UTDev78

Greenie
Jan 17, 2024
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro and V3i
I’ve been asked to be the guest speaker at a Lions Club meeting in our county. I’m going to display an assortment of finds from our acreage. Some metal detecting finds, a few bottles and a few NA artifacts, including the 2 pieces shown here.
For size reference, the little man is 3” tall. The point appears to be Burlington flint and the blade is probably flint and may have been heat treated. The coloration makes me wonder.
I need some help as to types and approximate periods they are from.
I don’t want to mislead the audience.
Thanks in advance.
There are several points in the large side notch cluster in the north central region. I was looking at them and I think I narrowed it down to a Godar Side Notch (Mid to Late Archaic) or Hickory Ridge Side Notch (Mid Archaic). I think it is the Godar in my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread