HELP!!!!!!

Chewbaby

Dec 22, 2008
Sebastian, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
My wife and I just moved to Florida's Treasure Coast area and have been going to the beach on a regular basis and I have been reading some History on this area and it seems MDing happens to be a great thing to do. We have been thinking about it for sometime now and decided to try it out, besides I need the exercise...My Question is: Which detector is best suited for depth and best luck on the beach in both Dry and Wet sand or Surf around the price range of $200.00 - $400.00?

I have read great reviews on both the Tesoro Silver Umax and the Garrett Ace 250...If these are good choices which would be best for the beach?

Are there any Regulations about hunting in the Surf?

Thank you all feedback would be greatly appreciated

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chewbaby, Welcome to TreasureNet, and to the Treasure Coast of Florida. If you go down to the "Beach and Shallow Water" forum you will find lots of good recommendations and discussion on this subject.

Tom

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly recommend you check out the beach and water section of the goldenolde.You will find lots of good info there. http://thegoldenolde.com/

As far as what detector is best for the beach, that is like asking what is the best car to buy for $20,000, or what is better blonde or brunette.

You have Ford owners who swear by Fords, and you have Chevy owners who swear by Chevys. You can find many good used detectors on the boards here for sale, the good thing about buying a good used detector is you get more for your money. If you decide the hobby isn't for you, you can recover most of your investment on a good used detector when you sell it.

You will find detectors are like golf clubs, different detectors for different situtations. For my beach hunting I use a customized waterproofed Sovereign GT and an Excal 1000. I favor them but I can't swear they are the best, they are just my choice of preference.

Besides the DetectorPro Headhunter Mad4wreaks has for sale (which I have never used but heard good things about) other good used detectors to also consider for beach hunting that I have personally used and would recommend.

White Beach Hunter ID
Sovereign GT
Excal 1000 / 800

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chewbaby... If you plan on doing most of your detecting on the beach, then I wouldn't advocate you getting the Ace. I does great in the dry sand and fair on the wet sand if you turn the sens way down. At the waters edge, mine goes crazy.. the salt water just gives it a fit. I have never used the Umax at the beach but I would say it would do about the same in the wet sand and waters edge. I'm sure someone will give you a better suggestion for the beaches in your price range. Good luck and if you do start, be prepared to become addicted. BTW, Welcome to TNet.

OP
OP
C

Chewbaby

Dec 22, 2008
Sebastian, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Thank you very much for all responses, I found someone who lives in N.C. and he sold me his BHID 300 for 500.00 + 25.00 shipping
I am EXTREMELY happy ;D and can't wait to get out and find something.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good detector, many hunters use the 300 and have lots of nice finds.....

Next you need to look at getting a good scoop, after the detector the scoop is the most important accessory a beach hunter uses. If you don't mind a little advice, if your going to be digging in the water you need the best scoop you can afford. Nothing worse then trying to recover a good target in the surf and can't find it because your using a tiny scoop. Also it is usually a long and depressing walk back to the car with a scoop that is in 2 pieces because you broke the handle digging.

I use the Beach Brute II myself, but there are several good scoops out there. Here are some of the top picks in my personal opinion.

Sunspot Stealth http://www.gold-scoop.com/

Nuttall http://www.nuttallenterprises.com/servlet/StoreFront

Beach Brute II http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/longhand.htm

They are all over $150, but you get what you pay for, and if you decide to sell you can get more then half of your money back. I bought a used Beach Brute 18 months ago for $100 and sold it after a year for $75...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread