What's new

Heres a dumb question for ya!

I metal detect in the woods so I do not do much of a plug.
 
I cut round horseshoe or U shaped plugs. That keeps the roots still attached to the rest of the turf.
Fold over plug, dig out dirt. Refill dirt, fold plug back over and step on it.

I think Tommy nailed it with the basics and Shunkaha finished the picture. This is EXACTLY how you should dig plugs. If you dig at a shallow angle the lawnmowers with suck them up. Same goes if it's completely cut away from the root bed. Dig straight down, 3/4 of the way around, big enough and deep enough. Flip it over and you're good to go. If someone walking behind you can easily spot your digs than you're not doing a good enough job. Dig holes in your own yard and wait a few weeks. If you can't find them, you did a good job. If you find brown spots, you need more practice. I should mention that most often you can dig just as neat a hole with small shovel as you can with a digger and sometimes better.
 
I dig a horse shoe plug. It's easy, quick and it works. It's what I know how to do. If it aint broke don't fix it.

I'd like to see ya try that here!!!! I just dig horseshoes---- :occasion14:
 
And one of these days it will be the golden one!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom